Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok my tank seems fairly stable my water tests look good. I've cut feeding to every other day basically hand feeding my clowns to prevent added nutrients. I've cut my lights to 8 hrs a day. What is the answer to the algea? Chemicals? I don't like that idea. Uv sterilizer? How do you get that doctors office tank at the house? What are they doing?

I would be greatful for any help or input......

That wasn't very nice.

Are you using RO/DI water? Also, do you have any coral in your tank? If not, you can cut back the lighting even more. And what are your water tests, exactly. Don't tell us they look good, because your definition of good could be different than ours.

Thanks guys this website sucks........

Your fired dude. Sometimes like a doctor office you need to wait for a answer.

there not very many post here that go un - answered.

Welcome to AA and give it a chance.

Ok I'm sorry. I was just getting frustrated and lost it but I appoligize. To ansewer your questions 1 I use r/o water with instant ocean salt mix and r/o for top off as well. It's a 28 gallon nano cf with 105 watt cf lighting . I have 4 snails, 2 hermit crabs, 2 false clowns, 3 star polyp corals, 25lbs live rock. I run lights 8-9 hrs day and moon LEDs 2 hrs b4 and 2 hrs after day lighting. No direct sunlight for this tank. I run sponge, ceramic ring and carbon standard nano filtration. And once a week when I do 2.5 gal water change and clean I put my magnum 350 canister on the side and run carbon half the day then the polisher filter.
I also added a 400 gph small fan powerhead to keep water flow in the lower rear or the tank. Again sorry for flipping out and any advice given I thank you for in advance........:)

Sorry forgot the important part, amonia 0 ph 8-8.2 nitrites 0 nitrates 5-10 normally about a week ago I was at 20 ppm and I got a little nervous and did a water change. When I do water changes I use a bateria additive.

What's the bacteria additive you use? You shouldn't have to use any chemicals or additives when doing water changes. I doubt that's the problem, i'm just giving some advice.

Take a pic of the algae. How often you change water? In the smaller tanks, it is a tough balance because of size. We will help you get it under control. I have a 29 biocube so I know the frustration.

Stress zyme bacterial filtration booster is the additive. I have been changing 2- 2.5 gallons a week since added live stock. I will post pic In morning as I have cleaned alot of it away this evening and the tank is down for the night. Does anyone feel that the nano uv sterilizer is a good move and I do not have a skimmer yet, any thoughts on either one first or even needed?

Feeding every other day, the clowns eat brine shrimp and I basically hand feed two or three shrimp at a time as to not have anything laying on the ocean floor....:) I want my hermits eating algea!

UV may help, but keep in mind, it will only sterilize the water that actually goes through it. My question, how long has the tank been set up and established? Most, if not all tanks will go through a cycle of different kinds of algea within the first year. Also keep in mind that the algea may be consuming your nitrates and phosphates at a fast rate, so you may have a higher nitrate level than what your tests are showing. Go grab a reef test kit with a phosphate test. Make sure you are using liquid test kits as well. And finally, hermits do very little in the way of algea removal, IMO snails are much more efficient. Pictures may help to identify the algea and the underlying cause of it. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom