Best easiest way to start a 10 gallon nano reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bm5424

Aquarium Advice Activist
Be been interested in getting a sw tank and I simply do not have the space for a large tank. I have a spare 10 that I'd like to make a nano tank out of. Any suggestions. I have experience with fw. Is it worth the time, $$ and effort for it??

Yes definitely if done right. But it is a lot more difficult to maintain a small tank. I suggest you do lots of research before you jump on it or you're gonna end up losing lots of money and then hate the hobby.

Agreed. This is why I started with a 30g with a sump. I can neglect it a few days. Once I get an ATO I might be able to neglect it for a week or two depending on evaporation. Any thing larger would make the tasks easier. This being said I'd still love to do a pico tank as well - as well as something larger than a 55g.

I agree it's probably easier to maintain a larger aquarium. But stocking a large one can b pricey. Get some experience on a small 1 and u might decide to upgrade. Small ones r challenging. Especially before the tank matures. After several months it's not hard to maintain at all. But b prepared to spend a little time on it. They need ur constant vigilance for awhile. Do some reading. Decide what u want in the aquarium. Fish, corals, etc. Figure out the proper lighting, filtration, heater, substrate. Where ur going to get the water. U going to mix ur own or buy it from an LFS? I started my 1st nano by mixing my salt with store bought distilled water. I eventually got an RO/DI filter. These r all things u have to take into consideration. And have patience. Don't buy a big CUC , fish and corals all at once. Get 1 or 2 things at a time. Let them settle in a little before adding anything else. Good luck if u decide to do it

Back
Top Bottom