Best nano skimmer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PWCs are better than a skimmer IMO. Protein skimmers take too much good stuff out of 29 Biocubes and not enough bad stuff. 10% water changes a week are best, from what I have read :)

Couldn't disagree more with you greenturtle. A skimmer is best in any tank.

I have a tunze 9002 and It fits in the 2nd section. Getting the collection cup from inTank so you don't have to cut the hood to fit the collection cup.

Its pricy, but its a beast.

maxst2 said:
Couldn't disagree more with you greenturtle. A skimmer is best in any tank.

I have a tunze 9002 and It fits in the 2nd section. Getting the collection cup from inTank so you don't have to cut the hood to fit the collection cup.

Its pricy, but its a beast.

I am making a refugium for my 2nd Chamber. I have heard many people say that when they add their refugium, the skimmer just doesn't take anything out of the water anymore due to the fuge taking out all organic materials. I saw an amazing Biocube that I am modeling my equipment after that didn't have a skimmer. I still haven't bought the tank yet, because I want to know exactly how I am modding before I do something wrong and have to pay even more money to fix it.

fuge in intake chamber chamber one. chamber two has poly fill on top, next layer purgien, bottom will have carbon next to that media basket is the tunze skimmer which goes into the return chamber.

cant say i can buy someone saying a fuge removes organics. nitrates and phosphates yeah since the algae in it will do that... but there is more that that. skimmer will oxygenate the tank well too.

you do know the purpose of micro algaes is not to break down nitrates, its for nutrient export. they absorb the disolved organics i nthe water just like a filter feeder. yes they consume a bit of nitrates but the key is nutrient export, where as a DSB is used to convert nitrates into nitrogeon gas and oxygen

maxst2 said:
fuge in intake chamber chamber one. chamber two has poly fill on top, next layer purgien, bottom will have carbon next to that media basket is the tunze skimmer which goes into the return chamber.

cant say i can buy someone saying a fuge removes organics. nitrates and phosphates yeah since the algae in it will do that... but there is more that that. skimmer will oxygenate the tank well too.

I was going to buy one to try it out, actually the one you had, I just was not sure that it would do very much, based on what I have read, not experience. And I was going to put some ChemiPure Elite with the algae and Purigen in the first Chamber. And then put the Tunze 9002 (It has really good reviews) in the 3rd Chamber.

maxst2 said:
Tunze has to go into the middle chamber - wont fit anywhere else.

Good to know. So will this work?

Chamber 1 - Refugium w/ Chaeto & Chemipure Elite
Chamber 2 - Tunze 9002 w/ InTank Collection Cup
Chamber 3 - 100w Heater + Purigen

Greenturtle said:
Good to know. So will this work?

Chamber 1 - Refugium w/ Chaeto & Chemipure Elite
Chamber 2 - Tunze 9002 w/ InTank Collection Cup
Chamber 3 - 100w Heater + Purigen

I like that idea. But it would be nice to skim in the first chamber that way your skimming dirty water instead of skimming water thats gone thru lr rubble and your chemical media. That sounds like it would be more potent.

SleepsWithFish said:
I like that idea. But it would be nice to skim in the first chamber that way your skimming dirty water instead of skimming water thats gone thru lr rubble and your chemical media. That sounds like it would be more potent.

But since the Tunze needs to be in chamber 2, wouldn't you switch 1 & 3 so the fuge comes after the skimmer?

Reason why the fuge is in chamber one is that its getting the intake water from the tank. Which has all the stuff from the tank. The 2nd chamber cleans the water - media rack and skimmer.. and the last is the return and heater.

a better idea is get a recirculating skimmer and feed the skimmer with the DT overflow and have the skimmer drain into the sump, thats probably the most efficient way to run a skimmer

Gti_Leo said:
a better idea is get a recirculating skimmer and feed the skimmer with the DT overflow and have the skimmer drain into the sump, thats probably the most efficient way to run a skimmer

I do not think that is possible for the biocube. Correct me if I am wrong, though.

Back
Top Bottom