nano algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruzzellz1969

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
please help

have a fluval m60 24g nano mixed reef tank. im having a daily (seems like hourly ) algae bloom on the glass. thus making the viewing difficult. just did water chang 20%. added new charcoal. salinity .1024 ppm temp 77.8 have a protein skimmer and ato. feeding once daily. adding A + B every 3rd day.
nitrite 0 ppm ammonia 0 to .5 ppm 8.3 ph. havent tested magnesium of other trace chemicals. any advice ty in advance!

please help

have a fluval m60 24g nano mixed reef tank. im having a daily (seems like hourly ) algae bloom on the glass. thus making the viewing difficult. just did water chang 20%. added new charcoal. salinity .1024 ppm temp 77.8 have a protein skimmer and ato. feeding once daily. adding A + B every 3rd day.

nitrite 0 ppm ammonia 0 to .5 ppm 8.3 ph. havent tested magnesium of other trace chemicals. any advice ty in advance!

Few things:

How long has the tank been set up for?

Any ammonia present is not good. What test kits are you using? Any nitrite reading?

What are you feeding?

NO3 and PO4 parameters will be helpful.

How much AB+ are you adding?

What’s your livestock looking like, can you post a pic of the tank?

Due to ammonia reading, you could be having mini cycles and this is just diatoms. Or, you could have a nutrient issue.

no2 0 ppm
no3 .5 ppm
added prime to get ammonia out so retested and is at 0ppm
using api master test kit and a hydrometer for salinity. but also use lfs to check regularly.
feed Mysis and brine with seaweed don't have package it was tossed. but only got that when we got a powder blue tang (baby) sorry its the wife! bigger tank coming for him or her. geez! one daily in am and the AB every 3rd day half of the recommended dose.

live stock fluctuates not gonna lie they've been better. i will put pic in. jus did water change and its a bit cloudy.

as u can see I'm no mathematician! thanks again! :banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 45
From what I see, I’d personally skip the AB+. You don’t have a system that is so packed with coral that nutrients are being stripped at an alarming rate. That said, I’d halt that dosing entirely, and focus on water changes to provide the nutrients and trace elements that are required by coral. Feed the fish, and let the NO3 plus water changes feed the coral.

The Prime will bind ammonia for 48 hours and render a test useless unless you’re using a free ammonia test kit. I’m not concerned you’re having ammonia spikes however.

thank you!

also how long b4 the tang is to big for the tank? ive been told they are bog swimmers!

They get very big and require a lot of space. I’ve never owned a tank big enough for a tang so I can’t really tell how big it gets before you need to rehome it. I’d personally cut losses now and find a bigger tank for it, but that’s just me.

Hey hows things? quick ? my rock anenomie ate my porcelain crab. have u ever seen this. i just caught him swallowing the last of it. couldnt get a pic!
if so i have one more crab is it safe? lol the emerald crab did just moult 2 days prior

Hey hows things? quick ? my rock anenomie ate my porcelain crab. have u ever seen this. i just caught him swallowing the last of it. couldnt get a pic!
if so i have one more crab is it safe? lol the emerald crab did just moult 2 days prior

No never seen it before, but also never had a rock nem or porcelain crab. Based off past experiences a health crab would likely not get eaten like that, so I would assume it was dead and wandered it’s way into the nem. Can’t confirm that however.

I highly doubt that a rock flower could eat a porcelain crab live or dead, there mouths aren’t that big. Mine will literally hang out in my biggest flower nem while it catches food no problem, I’ve even seen it close completely around it. Could be a piece of a molt or the crab died and was eaten by other inhabitants.

i know i thought the same. CRab is gone and it had just moulted 2 days prior. i wish i had got a pic. the shell was half way down. i was in shock. me and the wife were like wtf. do u know if their bodys are soft after moulting? it was his 2nd time moulting since we got him from lfs. i have another one in mt tank so im a little worried. i tell ya the ocean must have some cray cray stuff happen in their. cuz my tank is only 24 gallons and the crziest stuff happens. lol
thanks again for feedback

Back
Top Bottom