Clueless about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brineyone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to decide about lighting for my 15 gallon FOWLR. I am just getting started in SW and have no idea where I may want to end up with Corals etc. (at this point, I'm hoping I can keep LR and 2 fish alive...) I have been reading a lot about the metal halide vs the T5HO lights and am trying to decide between:

1. Sundial HQI metal halide pendant
10,000K 150 watt HQI with dual actinic lamps

pros- metal halide, one plug with 2 built in timers
cons- 15 in x 12 in. My tank is 20 in x 12 in, pendant light which just seems like a bad plan...

OR

2. Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 6 x 18 watt (total 108 watts)
10,000K with 3 actinics

pros- attached to the aquarium (I don't know why I think this is better...)
cons - Individually contoured lights may not maximize light output.

ANY suggestions would be helpful!! Would either or both of these lights be too much light for what I may be trying to do? The whole lighting array is very confusing :bowl: (no pun intended :D)

Oh, btw they are about the same price, so that isn't a factor. I don't really want to have to replace this light in the future since this is one of the most expensive parts of the tank....

Hmm...

I think if your plan is for SPS and high light demanding corals and you are prepared for the amount of top off you will have to deal with I say go with the DE 150MH. The one suggestion I have is to keep it up a bit off the tank as that will generate a lot of heat on such a small tank. Temp tends to be the biggest issue with small tanks so keep that in mind.

I like MH lighting but I also use T5 supplementation on my tank so I have the best of both worlds.

To help you settle the debate about MH on a small tank I'm getting ready to set up a 24g nano cube with a SE 175w MH bulb over it. The key is to keep it above the tank enough so as not to heat the water up too much.

Oh BTW...I'm not far from you. I live in Sumerduck and work in Manassas...I go right down 28 4 days a week.

I think I'll go with the T5. The whole hanging thing just weirds me out a little. I'm sure I will fall in love with some SPS later and end up replacing it though! That is usually how things work. I am also worried about the top-off. I would like to keep the maintenance as straight forward as possible. I already have a fair amount of evaporation and I have the hood light. I am worried when I take the hood off and have the top open that I will lose a lot more. I could always tell my husband we need to keep the house at 78 to prevent it!!:D

I did convince my husband that we needed more LR in our tank. We bought 5 lbs locally. I am ordering 20 more lbs online today. I will post new pics when it comes!!

I live right off 28 and travel to Culpeper to work so we are opposites!! Are there any LFS in this area that you would recommend? I have been to Marine Scene in Herndon and one in Chantilly. Marine Scene seemed like a great store but kinda pricey.

Thanks for your help!!

There are several LFSs in the area. Marine Scene as you have found, The Centreville Aquarium on 29, Fins & Feathers in Asburn (one of my favs) Blue Ribbon Koi off 234 in Catharpin. The Aquarium Company in Reston, there is one in Front Royal and one in Winchester but I forget the names.

If you haven't joined WAMAS you should look into it. Most of the LFSs in the area will offer discounts to memebers and it's not a big investment. $25 a year for an individual plus you get the use of their site and members are always trading and selling rock, corals fish and equipment. PM for details.

I agree with the T5 choice. That would make a great addition esp. if you go reef. I`m down the road also near Richmond. Welcome aboard.

T5 does sound good but I saw the JBJ 150w Viper MH light and some of the guys here say it's a really good light for corals(if you plan on going that way) but you might need a fan...

If it's a pendant can't you hang it off the ceiling or attach it to something? You can keep a MH above a tank and still get the much needed light.

To be brutally honest, a mh over anything under 30g is overkill. I have not seen a single coral that couldn't be kept with just as nice colorations using T5 compared to a halide. What are the dimensions of your tank and I can recommend a solid setup?

T-5 is how I would go,,,heat is the biggest down side with MH..Heck on that small a tank you might even be able to get a LED light for a Nano...

You could always do PC for now then add MH to it later as a retro fit if you are good with your hands .. From what I understand it is not all that hard to do either :D This would give you something with blues and moons and MH for cycling day to nite ;)
How much are you wanting to spend at this time ?

This is interesting since I'm looking into which lights to get for my 10g QT/frag tank. I don't want to spend to much money.

I have one that I used on my ten gallon tank for sale. It is PC and comes with six extra light bulbs that would give you 4 years of lighting .I retroed 3 white LED moon lights and a new fan. It has the legs and splash guard as well as light bands. It has 4 months burn time on the unit. No burn time on the bulbs. It is 72 watts total if you are interested, let me know as I have it listed on an auction. I can price it with the extra six bulbs or without, without you would only get two new bulbs, they are Coralife bulbs and are about $26 each. It will fit a 29 BC and lots of folks eventually retro a MH unit into it as they get further into reefing. I kept LPS, shrooms and zoas with them. It has 2 cords for the lights as well as a plug for the fan and moons ..

Back
Top Bottom