Corals under stock biocube lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
WHat kind of corals could I put under a biocube 29 stock lighting system???

Soft corals and maybe LPS. I would upgrade to LEDs, because they last for 15 years, so you save money off of power + replacement bulbs after 2 years. With LEDs, you can have everything. The link is in my thread :)

Attached photo of a variety of corals in my stock biocube 14. No lighting upgrades, everything has been flourishing the past 2 months, including an anemone.

image-3926447695.jpg

From what I understand, the stock lighting allows for low to medium light favoring corals and such. An upgrade may need to be done to house higher light requiring "critters" although, from talking to some local "eexperts," it may be enough just to make sure higher light requiring corals are placed as close to the top as possible without any other interference between the coral and the light stream.

Before Nanotuners quit selling them, I upgraded my 14 to the extra CF and have a couple of high light corals that love it. I am thinking of doing another upgrade to the LED now available (which I think is why they quit selling the CF version) but not sure I can do it without getting a new stock cover..waiting on the answer from NT.

SleepsWithFish said:
Cool! I'll take that into consideration... What thread?:0

Sorry, can't link threads. But if you go to the nano tank section it should be close to the top.

PapaNosio said:
Attached photo of a variety of corals in my stock biocube 14. No lighting upgrades, everything has been flourishing the past 2 months, including an anemone.

Nice tank!!!!!!!!

You can easily keep zooa's, mushrooms, leather corals and some LPS corals as well under the stock biocube lights. :)

carey said:
You can easily keep zooa's, mushrooms, leather corals and some LPS corals as well under the stock biocube lights. :)

Awesome! Man I wish I could keep some sps..:( do you know of any florescent or extremely bright softies or Lps?

Well you can get ALOT of color with mushrooms and zooanthids. I happen to like duncan corals too, very fluffy and flourescent green. :) Torch corals are nice too, they look just like anemones.

carey said:
Well you can get ALOT of color with mushrooms and zooanthids. I happen to like duncan corals too, very fluffy and flourescent green. :) Torch corals are nice too, they look just like anemones.

Holy guacamole that Duncan coral is BEAUTIFUL!!!:0

i bought the 505/50 reef sun light from petco, what kind of stuff can i get

The thing about ducan you really need to feed it usually when I really feed the tank mine eat but I usually spot feed once a week is all. I started off with one head and now I have at least 25 I need to really figure out how I am going to frag it. Other lower light corals are favites and blastos they both do very well.

Back
Top Bottom