Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2003, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much is it to drill a tank? If i were to drill it... How far from the top would I want this done? The tank is already setup, so I dont really want to empty it out. But if this is the only option then I guess I will do what I have to do. I thought a little bit of room would not matter, now I am ticked off about how big my PH is. I think I am gonna take it out and keep it as a back-up one. I am gonna get a mini for the main tank. Could I turn the mini sideways?

Old 04-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
How much is it to drill a tank?
I think your gonna be looking at 10-20 dollars per hole, call and ask a local glass shop. What might be better would be to see if the LFS can do it, they might actually guarantee the tank.

Quote:
If i were to drill it... How far from the top would I want this done?
I would probably go with a 5/8s" hole with a 1/2" bulkhead maybe 3/4s, but I think 1/2 will suffice for the amount of water your gonna flow, I would put the top edge of the hole as high as possible, right up to the trim.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is what I am looking at from the side of the tank.

Also I am exploring the possibilities of having two spraybars, one in each corner. I have ditched the powerhead in the tank. I want to have one big PH, which pushes water up the middle of the sump, and splits off into two other PVC pipes. Here it goes up into a spraybar.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
I have come up with something from all of your ideas. Would this work? As you see, drilling on the back of the 7 would lower the water, thus by adding the elbow and turning it upright would raise the water and cause a overflow. (you can keep fish out from falling in with one of the bio balls or some kind of netting) Then to return it back , I havent dome a calculation for which pump size yet.

To drill a tank, I got mine done for $20 a hole.

I'm not sure about the drilling as if it is already set up. while drilling , there is a fine particle of glass being chipped away.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

YOU ARE A GENEIUS! KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS! I award you 50 kudos!

Now I have another diagram, i keep changing my mind. A spray is not practical since there is rock in the corners, so how does this look?

The LFS will drill it for 10 bux, just called. Not to be rude Kevin, but I would like some more advice on the size of the whole.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I finally got a picture of what you guys have been working on for me!

The shelf with the food on it I installed, and the shelves beside the tank used to be joined, but I took a jigsaw to it and now it looks all custom
Old 04-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It was not my intention to present the info on the CPR overflow as gospel. I hope it wasn't taken that way. I have been told by several experienced aquarists that the CPR wasn't reliable. I have used a Tidepool which is similar in design and had a lot of trouble with it. I have used the U tube types and drilled them for a PH, but I would never trust anything but a Maxi Jet because I know from personal experience that they are excellent. Anyway, just wanted to clear that up.
If the pump and the powerhead both quit, the siphon should not be lost assuming that the end of the line on the PH is underwater...which it should be. If the pump quits and the PH keeps running, it will eventually empty the inside overflow box and cause the siphon to be lost. In theory, when the pump is restarted, the PH would restart the siphon. Whether it will do it before the tank overflows depends both on the size of the PH and the flow rating of the return pump.
Logan J
Old 04-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Barney
Thanks, wasn't expecting kudo's. If I can help, I'm there....

Been busy lately with my college students exam, but I'll be back more often.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I normally dont give my kudos away, but you little idea, the elbow inside the tank solved one of two problems I had. I think I will put a strainer on the end of it so the overflow does not get clogged. Any ideas on the size of the hole and what kind of power head I need to make "the feild goal idea" become reality without being too much for the overflow to handle?
Old 04-26-2003, 11:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so what if I am addicted to diagrams. They just make life so much easier. Here is what the return PVC/Nylon tubing will look like coming from the pump

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com