First time SW AND nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jillyd.713

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to research more on starting a SW tank. In my mind I am envisioning a 10-15G with live rock, and I plan to buy my lighting with the option to add some easy corals in the future (still looking at options for species etc.). I have read a little bit of conflicting advice, being that 2 clown fish would be acceptable in this size of tank vs. not. I am leaning toward 2 (for sure no more than that).

I have read that to best do this, you should start out with a mated pair, however I am curious with how one would do this without causing a big spike in ammonia. Everything I have read states that after the aquarium is cycled, esp for this small size of tank, that fish should be only added one at a time every 4-6 weeks. It seems that my options would be to either get 2 fish with a 6 week difference in time frame, and hope that they grow to be compatible, or to add a mated pair and potentially add more fish than my bacteria can support.

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on this? I realize that a smaller aquarium is a lot more challenging, especially since my experience is with freshwater, so I really want to err on the side of caution and do it properly. Thanks all!

Well keep reading up on the set up but your starting to get it. Also take a good long look at the nitrogen cycle.

After the cycle is complete you should be able to add a mated pair. Just make sure to watch for ammonia and nitrites. If you start seeing traces of them just do a WC and you'll have to keep an eye on it and do WC whenever they apear for about a week. Then you should be good. Also try to get smaller clowns.

You can add more than 1 fish at a time just don't throw a ton of huge fish in at one time :) and as for 6 weeks between each fish? I added a new fish every week. As long as your parameters are stable and at a good level your safe to add :)

Also just my opinion. I wouldn't do 2 clowns in anything less than 20 gallon. Recommended 30 gallon. But if you wanna try it good luck. I'm sure with the right amount of maintenance it can be successful.

Thanks for your response, to be honest I never even thought you could support a marine tank of less than 30 gallons, it was the "nano reef" forum on here which caught my attention.

I will absolutely start out with small fish, and with growth would probably expand (you could argue if I plan to expand I should start now). It would go beside my desk and would be monitored very closely, since i spend a lot of time procrastinating homework there (im a student). I plan to research it much more thoroughly and want to pick something that will not be outside my abilities and still yield healthy fish.

I'm thinking that a pair of clowns need at least a 20g. One clown would be fine in a 10g, but 2 is a little too small.

Well there's people aon here with 4 gallon reefs ;)

As for the expanding the only thing I'd say is start with Just the necessities and wait till you expand to start coral cause the lights are what will really run up the $$

I am curious about the reasoning, it it because of the wastes put off by about 6 inches of fish and resulting difficulty in keeping the tank balanced? Could this be kept on top of by more frequent monitoring and more frequent water changes?

If I were to still want to get 2 fish in there, what would you recommend? I would want a species both colorful and relatively hardy.

I understand they can be semi-aggressive, would there be territorial issues?

Im starting one right now its fun but way more expensive than freshwater

image-1021734300.jpg

Khij159753 said:
Well keep reading up on the set up but your starting to get it. Also take a good long look at the nitrogen cycle.

After the cycle is complete you should be able to add a mated pair. Just make sure to watch for ammonia and nitrites. If you start seeing traces of them just do a WC and you'll have to keep an eye on it and do WC whenever they apear for about a week. Then you should be good. Also try to get smaller clowns.

You can add more than 1 fish at a time just don't throw a ton of huge fish in at one time :) and as for 6 weeks between each fish? I added a new fish every week. As long as your parameters are stable and at a good level your safe to add :)

Also just my opinion. I wouldn't do 2 clowns in anything less than 20 gallon. Recommended 30 gallon. But if you wanna try it good luck. I'm sure with the right amount of maintenance it can be successful.

Yes exactly! But clownfish are also very dirty fish and poop alot quite often on top of being messy eaters.

I have definitely decided to either go for a 20G, or to just put 1 fish in my 10G. The more I think about it, the more I realize that just having a saltwater tank will be challenge enough, it would suck for my first time to be a bad experience and kill my stock!
Thanks all for the advice!

Sounds like a good plan! Honestly going for a 20 will be easier. Actually If you got the money and take time you could get a 29 and get the pair of clowns plus some other fish and get lots of coral and inverts :) don't forget to check creigslist for great deals!

Also, I have an old Penguin 150 (with the biowheel). I talked to a guy at my lfs and he said that for something as small as a 10G you can go without a protein skimmer as long as you have some sort of filtration in addition to the live rock...does anyone disagree? (just to state, i am amazing at keeping on top of water changes). Also, because i get 150GPH from that filter, would that negate the need for a powerhead? or should i be looking at downgrading a filter and adding a powerhead for more turbulence?

I don't have a skimmer on my 29. It just makes nitrates go down a kittle more. Just make sure you have a bunch of live rock. I'd get a power head (small one) and keep the filter. Most people just throw broken up live rock where you would put a filter cartridge.

I have the main hardware laying around from some past setups, the only thing im still missing is a light suitable for a SW set-up. If I started cycling, would the live rock need a light fixture up to stay alive? It would make a good christmas gift to ask santa for, but if I have to wait all the way until Christmas to start cycling...well, that would suck!

Haha. Cycling is usually better to do with the lights off :) so no lights for the cycle. And as long as you don't add coral any light will work for a fish. So if it gets done and you get sick of looking at an empty tank just buy or put some cheap light over it. Any kind of light works and you can add your first fish! :) you'll need to get a good light for coral or anemone though.

Back
Top Bottom