I got my first sw molly yestersay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yup i had a doubt that it will work but it worked. I took 4-5 hrs for whole process as my tank was running little low of salt. I only done this with a single molly as u can say for experiment. Now my next step would be to take it to eating��. Yesterday it was struggling with flow but now it's ok from yesterday. Will it be ok if i feed it small saltwater pellets? Or should i feed it fw pellets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup i had a doubt that it will work but it worked. I took 4-5 hrs for whole process as my tank was running little low of salt. I only done this with a single molly as u can say for experiment. Now my next step would be to take it to eating��. Yesterday it was struggling with flow but now it's ok from yesterday. Will it be ok if i feed it small saltwater pellets? Or should i feed it fw pellets?

Certain Mollies are actually a brackish water fish so they can handle being in a full marine tank for some time but the amount of time they can is still up for discussion. Most are done for cycling or feeding purposes so no real data on longevity has been reported to my knowledge.

As for feeding, Mollies like a lot of greenery in their diet so if your food has it, it won't matter whether it's fresh or saltwater food. If it doesn't, you will need to feed it some. They also need protein so you will need to feed a variety of foods. Most mollies will eat just about anything but too much of one kind and not enough of another can cause digestive issues. Make sure you feed at least one green food or one with roughage once a day to help keep the " pipes" ;) ;) flowing. (y)

Ohk thanks. My salinity is at 1.016 so it is little low but my fish does well in it so i think it may be fine there. I tried hikari s pellets but didn't work, will try tommorow again and some veggies too

Ohk thanks. My salinity is at 1.016 so it is little low but my fish does well in it so i think it may be fine there. I tried hikari s pellets but didn't work, will try tommorow again and some veggies too

At 1.016, your water is technically in the brackish water range ( between 1.0004 and 1.0226 ) so your fish should not be effected. What other marine fish do you have in the tank?

Keep in mind that if you are using a hydrometer to get your salinity reading, the Specific Gravity will depend on temperature. The colder the water the higher the reading. The higher the temperature, the lower the reading. This page has a good chart showing the different salinities based on temperature. https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rhf/index.php

I hv a lionfish and a undulate which do well in brakish. Reason is that i find better sccess keeping my fishes healthy in these ranges, i mostly keeps demsels and tangs ither than these 2 and they all looks good in this range. By the way now i hv introduced 2 other mollies but not sure about their gender.

I hv a lionfish and a undulate which do well in brakish. Reason is that i find better sccess keeping my fishes healthy in these ranges, i mostly keeps demsels and tangs ither than these 2 and they all looks good in this range. By the way now i hv introduced 2 other mollies but not sure about their gender.

The black one is another female but the cream one keeps swimming in the part of the video that is obscured by the description on the bottom of the video. :facepalm: :^s If you can focus the fish into the middle of the screen and shoot it upwards to show the fish's anal fin, that would help a lot to figuring what sex it is. (y)

It's little shy so i think i got 3 females, thought bought atleast one

Edit- r u talking about orange one? Got it's vedio. So now that white one and black one's r both female

It's little shy so i think i got 3 females, thought bought atleast one

Edit- r u talking about orange one? Got it's vedio. So now that white one and black one's r both female

Yeah, it appears all are females. When the anal fin is triangular shaped, that's a female. If the anal fin is rolled up into a tube ( called a gonopodium), it's a male. (y)

That means I hv to bring new one. I really thought that black one is male as it was chasing everyone but now I noticed it's anal fin

That means I hv to bring new one. I really thought that black one is male as it was chasing everyone but now I noticed it's anal fin

If these came from a tank where there were any males, these females are most likely already pregnant. Unless you are looking for a constant appearance of fry, I'd leave it just the 3 females and let some of their fry grow up and keep a male or 2. It buys you some time. ;)

Ohk thx. There may be some males at my lfs with them i think. They r actually enjoying their company and hv seen them sleeping in same spot too. I also think putting a male may cause fight so for now i may let it be as it is or maybe i will bring a small male if i find one next time during my lionfish feeding and hopefully i may not end up with a female i think,lol

Lost that white one today. It was little more curious and a rock falled on it.

Got more today and i think got a male too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102-215905_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102-215905_Gallery.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
:)At last?. Though i hv to put all 4 coz my lion not ate them

Till now i think black mollies and those orange ones do well in sw but white ones don't go that good. Both white one got passed away within a week, male from bloating maybe swim bladder amd female just gone silently

It's all going to depend on the species of molly, not the color. Sphenops mollies are more a brackish water specie while the latipinna ( sailfin) varieties are more a freshwater specie that can tolerate brackish water for a while. I get latipinna in my culvert where I live and I'm 66 miles from the nearest brackish water. No sphenops at all.

I think i hv Sphenops. Don't know why my shop hv all injured mollies. Their tails r always nipped and one was having a little curved tail but now it's tail became alright for some reason. This was one which i lost

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115-210419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115-210419_Chrome.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
Sadly, there is poor quality control on many farms these days. I see fish in stores I would feed to my Oscars if they came from any of my breeders. That's how you breed OUT bad genetics. :whistle: It's up to the buyer to not accept the disfigured fish and ask the person to catch you a different non disfigured/ non injured fish. It's YOUR money so you should get something worthy of your money. (y)

Back
Top Bottom