How to Refresh a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So prior to this water change I used to religiously use Purple Up and use fuel to feed my corals, I have since then stopped using fuel and purple up. Would it be ok to start using purple up again or is there a better alternative? I've recently been using brine shrimp on my torch and Duncan coral and they seem to be responding much better to it than they ever did with fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Purple up is simply expensive calcium and alk in a bottle. If you don't need or test for it, don't use it. I have additives from bulkreefsupply that were much cheaper when it comes to dosing.
When it comes to fuel, why are you using it? I don't recall corals that need that type of fine food. All the stuff does is foul up your water. If they are photosynthetic, there is no need to feed.

It was recommended for my zoas. Was I just being played like a fiddle as a new tanker? :face palm:

Is there anything else I can simply do to support the coralline algae?

Totally shouldn't need it for zoas. Totally played to buy an overpriced additive.
When it comes to coralline, simple keep the tank in good shape and it will grow. It takes time. My tank it took to the two year mark for it to take off even though it was in the system.
That said, no clue why one would want to promote such growth. Once it covers things, it is much harder to remove from power heads than other algae... It is pretty but anything in too much is a nuisance.

This week I started turning on my lights for just two hours and in the end of that two hours I feed my torch brine shrimp as well as my one fish ( hopefully adding to the family once the tank is clearly stable again)

So I've started to worry a little about my torch coral as its not as open or opening as much as it used to, could this just be from the black out?

Flow is perfect. The water level of the entire tank is stable and has dropped las than it used to by now. Last week the salinity measured higher than usual. Just a touch, nothing I worried to much about but will remeasure all again at the end of this week. My zoas have EACH grown a new bud and am just tickled with excitement and am wanting to expand my tanks coral load in these flourishing conditions. Also down the road (end of this year) a lighting upgrade.

I left my lights on just a bit to let my torch "stretch its legs" and it's come out completely and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom