is this coraline algea growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyma10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have all over the glass and some green patches on some spots and it has. Bubbles stuck to it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120710_234816.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_234816.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 137
  • ForumRunner_20120710_234846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_234846.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 154
  • ForumRunner_20120710_234904.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_234904.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 138
Looks like a combination of coraline and a red algae. Either way its on the glass which ruins the view of the aquarium. Try to remove it if possible

I've scraped it off and now its all over my rock I want to know if its good or bad

The stuff on the rock, in the middle pic, looks like pink and purple coralline algae.
All the stuff on the glass and power head, looks like hair algae and Cyanobacteria. These are not good, and typically come from high dissolved organic levels in your water.
I would imagine that your Phosphates and Nitrates are high. What are these levels?

Yea I've been looking at cyanobacteria in pics threw Google and its looks just like it and yea my phosphates and nitrates are high how do I get rid of ot

Scrape away and suck out as much possible. Mexican turbo snails are amazing at removing hair algae off of the live rock. Stay consistant on weekly water changes and in time you should be in great shape!

Also keep your lights off for a few days im pretty positive this bacteria is photosynthetic. Lights out should help kill it off

The tank is a 10 gallon Fowler tank I do every two weeks water changes should I do it weekly and also I've been using tap water I know I should use purified water but my local pet store. Does not sell water my question is can I use the purified water from the super market machines that dispense purified water

Do everyweek without tap water. You have two options one is a bit pricey but if you are really into this hobby its worth every penny: get a reverse osmosis filter/pureifyer. This creates RO water which is what LFS's sell, and add instant ocean to it, or use distilled water and use instant ocean or your prefered brand of ocean salts. Distilled is cheaper than the RO system but the RO system is super convenient!

Tap water has a lot of bad chemicals in it that can definatly cause algae spikes and all sorts of other problems. Including death to your corals and fish if your not careful. Never use tap water IMO its just a no go for reef or marine
Aquariums.

Also I was using 2 mini compact 50/50 (6 inch) bulbs. And I switched one of the for a spiral daylight bulb that's when the prob started another thing are the two 50/50 bulbs enough for that tank cuz I'm trying to speed up the coraline algea growth any advice on what to do

Yea Im planing on buying. The ro. Purifier filter just saving up on and thanks for all the advice ill keep posting pics on my progress

reyma10 said:
Also I was using 2 mini compact 50/50 (6 inch) bulbs. And I switched one of the for a spiral daylight bulb that's when the prob started another thing are the two 50/50 bulbs enough for that tank cuz I'm trying to speed up the coraline algea growth any advice on what to do

The coraline will grow but if you increase lighting expect other algaes to grow too. I would just use the lightsnin moderation no need to over do it. Coraline will grow along with other algae thats inevitable. Might as well slow the proscess its a bit less strenuous on the inhabitants of the tank. Again just opinions feel free to add more input guys!

Hey Reyma,
It sounds like there are a couple different issues causing your algae.
The first being your source water. Like Jacobs already stated, tap contains a lot of undesirable organics and metals. Even if you are treating it for chloramines, the rest is still there. The water vending machines will work, as I'm still using them, unfortunately, but the best way to go is a RO/DI unit. If purchasing a unit, make sure that it is RO/DI, not just RO. RO water will still have TDS (total dissolved solids), the DI (deionization) unit is what makes it pure water.
The other issue could be your lights. The Kelvin rating of the bulbs is important. Kelvin measures the color temperature of the bulb, if the bulb is 5700-6500k, this will aid in the production of algae. Most people who have planted tanks, I believe, run around 5700k bulbs for this purpose. You want a bulb rating 10,000k or above. For most people too, this color temperature is more pleasing to look at, not so yellow, more bluish/white.
Another reason a lot of people get algae problems, is over feeding in combination with not enough water changes. This builds up organics, which feed the algae. There are some good articles on this site, about how to deal with Cyanobacteria. Check these out, as they will explain it all. Reducing your photoperiod will help to get it under control, but is in no way a cure.
Sorry for the mini-novella of a post, but I hope this helps you get it under control. :)

Flreefer said:
Hey Reyma,
It sounds like there are a couple different issues causing your algae.
The first being your source water. Like Jacobs already stated, tap contains a lot of undesirable organics and metals. Even if you are treating it for chloramines, the rest is still there. The water vending machines will work, as I'm still using them, unfortunately, but the best way to go is a RO/DI unit. If purchasing a unit, make sure that it is RO/DI, not just RO. RO water will still have TDS (total dissolved solids), the DI (deionization) unit is what makes it pure water.
The other issue could be your lights. The Kelvin rating of the bulbs is important. Kelvin measures the color temperature of the bulb, if the bulb is 5700-6500k, this will aid in the production of algae. Most people who have planted tanks, I believe, run around 5700k bulbs for this purpose. You want a bulb rating 10,000k or above. For most people too, this color temperature is more pleasing to look at, not so yellow, more bluish/white.
Another reason a lot of people get algae problems, is over feeding in combination with not enough water changes. This builds up organics, which feed the algae. There are some good articles on this site, about how to deal with Cyanobacteria. Check these out, as they will explain it all. Reducing your photoperiod will help to get it under control, but is in no way a cure.
Sorry for the mini-novella of a post, but I hope this helps you get it under control. :)

I personally like the mini novels!! Wait, what was I going to say?... Oh yeah. +1 on everything said here.

I think a combination of frequent RODI water changes, every three day feeding period (depending on fish), a sump, and a cheap phosban 150 reactor will help you create an ideal algae free environment.

Back
Top Bottom