Should I be worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noor1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello - My Oranda goldfish have white bumps and white patches at one point on it's fins. They have been there since the last 4 months. They look like pimples (attached). The fish doesn't scratches itself and acts the way it always had before having the bumps (i.e. swims perfectly, eats, doesn't act sluggish). I tried salt water bath, melafix and pimafix, general cure but nothing helped. The water parameters are good too. I am really confused what this pimples/bumps/patches could be. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 20231029_203542.jpg
    20231029_203542.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231029_203610.jpg
    20231029_203610.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231029_203622.jpg
    20231029_203622.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately, goldfish are prone to tumors and color changes throughout their lives. The white blotches on the body appear to be just color changes. If the pimples or white thickened areas in the fins were upsetting/annoying the fish, you would see him scratching or flicking them which you said he isn't doing. So I would not be too concerned about them.
One possibility is that they are viral to which there's not much you can do for them but keep the water clean and the fish healthy through good diet and added vitamins if the fish does not eat a large variety of foods. You can also treat the main tank with salt at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water which if it's bacterial may help treat this. I would not jump to a stronger antibiotic for this if the fish is acting normally.

As I said, sadly, because goldfish are so mass produced, they can come down with all kinds of weird things that there are no cures for. Some, like tumors or warts, the fish can live with forever and are untreatable by medicines but can be surgically removed by professionals while other issues are more just something you need to live with as long as they are not bothering the fish. :^/
Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom