Just started what steps should I take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonynose188

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a JBJ 29 gallon tank
30lbs live rock
Live sand
Salinity is at 1.024
just started 2 days ago and I no I have to wait for the tank to cycle but what steps should I take. I want to have a reef tank ultimately but I don't know of I start with corals or fish?

I always start out with a fish first, but i guess it really doesnt matter. As long as the tank is cycled you can add live stock... Just pace yourself.

Tonynose188 said:
I have a JBJ 29 gallon tank
30lbs live rock
Live sand
Salinity is at 1.024
just started 2 days ago and I no I have to wait for the tank to cycle but what steps should I take. I want to have a reef tank ultimately but I don't know of I start with corals or fish?

What are you using to cycle?

Horvy19 said:
So what are the steps to the shrimp thing? Everything I read is vague, don't what to mess any of this cycle up.

Put it in a net and let it rot in the tank for a few days to a week. That will give you the ammonia source. If it starts to smell bad take it out an toss it. I did that method and it took about a week and a half.

Tonynose188 said:
Doesn't the live rock/sand start the process by itself?

It will by means of some die off from the live rock and sand but the shrimp or even fish food will help the cycling process.

Nothing is ever set in stone in this hobby people do all different kinds of things and use different methods to cycle there tanks. The shrimp is just something I've used and it worked. I know others have some the same and others have there own way.

Tonynose188 said:
Doesn't the live rock/sand start the process by itself?

Die off from the LR and LS can start the cycle, but if you don't have enough die off, you will have a very light cycle. That means you won't have lots of BB. Then when you add a fish or two, you could have another mini cycle. Better to throw a raw shrimp (or use ammonia) and have a good strong cycle to start with. That way, when you add fish, it'll all be good!! :)

Beengirl said:
Die off from the LR and LS can start the cycle, but if you don't have enough die off, you will have a very light cycle. That means you won't have lots of BB. :)

Sorry Iam new what does BB mean

Beengirl said:
Die off from the LR and LS can start the cycle, but if you don't have enough die off, you will have a very light cycle. That means you won't have lots of BB. Then when you add a fish or two, you could have another mini cycle. Better to throw a raw shrimp (or use ammonia) and have a good strong cycle to start with. That way, when you add fish, it'll all be good!! :)

100% correct. Like stated before your gonna need another source of ammonia.

Ok so I'll go to my pet store get some frozen shrimp, let them sit in some saltwater to thaw out then put in a net and let them sit for a week this will jump start the cycling of my tank. Then when I make sure the aquarium has cycled should I perform a water change or add fish then do a water change a week after I get those fish.

From that, when I perform a water change I'll remove 3 -4 gallons from my tank. Do I then add premixed salt water or do I add ro water?

Tonynose188 said:
Ok so I'll go to my pet store get some frozen shrimp, let them sit in some saltwater to thaw out then put in a net and let them sit for a week this will jump start the cycling of my tank. Then when I make sure the aquarium has cycled should I perform a water change or add fish then do a water change a week after I get those fish.

From that, when I perform a water change I'll remove 3 -4 gallons from my tank. Do I then add premixed salt water or do I add ro water?

When doing a water change you add your already mixed water. I would test the salinity to see of how close it is to your tank water.

Also you don't need frozen shrimp from the pet store. You can use raw shrimp for your local food store. That will be just fine.

Never just add RO water on a water change you will dilute the salinity in your tank (BAD) if your just "topping off" you can use RO water because salt doesn't evaporate so... When your water level gets low due to evap your salinity raises. Add RO water and it will go back down, make sense?

Ok went to the food store, bought raw shrimp put 2 in a ziplock bag and poked a lot of holes in it, sound good?

Back
Top Bottom