Led's on pico reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 2.5 gallon and my lighting system (coralife aqualight) fried today. My corals are coming tomorrow. I have other lights for backup, but for the future I want new ones, and I'm wondering if LEDs would work. The ones I'm looking at are 12", 200 lumens, 33 LEDs. Beamworks single bright fixture. How would soft corals hold up under these in a 2.5 gallon?

These are great!!! I think you can even try some LPS in the future under this light... Maybe try and make a small inbuilt refuge.

Thanks! Ok so the coral came in a little bit ago. How does it look?

Attachments

• image-1730097572.jpg
    image-1730097572.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 98
Oh and would the LED's be fine by themselves? As in no other lights.

They seem fine just give then a couple of days to settle in. The lights by themselves should be fine. But my one advise to all reef junkies is never be satisfied with what you have :) always look to upgrade at some point cause 6 months from now there will be even newer models of reef lights with better features out there.... You should checkout the Aquaillumunation Nano LED, pretty cool in my opinion :)

You could also look at a DIY set of LEDs. This is what my friend is making me at the moment.

40w dimable LED lamp with cooling fans too. I had to specify which bulbs to use and the pattern as he has no experience in reef keeping but def an electronics wiz ;)

image-2166382076.jpg

image-1870238491.jpg

Attachments

• image-33083813.jpg
    image-33083813.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 96
Ok. Thank you for all advice. I will certainly look to upgrade when possible! And some of the zoas actually started to open. They closed now. Do they normally close at night? Also I must tell you where I got them-reefs2go. For $12 I got candy apple zo 5polyps, green zo 5polyps, and blue long hair green eyed zo with 10 polyps. 2-3 day shipping on them for $12

Wow that is open... Most corals do close up at night... They need their rest too :) but it is great that try have started to open.... Zoas have been known to take up to 2 weeks to open properly... All apart of the acclimating process :) can't wait to see pictures once they all settle in :)

The ones in the middle were opened, but they just closed. Kind of shy!

Attachments

• image-787667365.jpg
    image-787667365.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 70
I agree! A few of the middle ones started to open as well. They're green and blue

Back
Top Bottom