New Again, Got a 55 gal Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
HI!

I haven't had any aquariums in 12 years. Moving into a new place and can start my adventures again. I'm starting brand new fresh again. Bought a 55 gal Aqueon aquarium from Petco for $79. Originally $169.

Ordered:

48" Aquaneat LED Aquarium Light
Aqueon Quietflow LED Pro 75 Power Filter
Aqueon Replaement Filter Cartridges
Aqueon Pro Aquarium Heater 200 Watt
API Quick Start Freshwater Treatment
API Master Test Kit
Omega One Super Color Tropical Flakes

From what I remember I need to get a syphon, water change bucket, substrate (Gravel?), plastic plants, hiding places.... What else am I missing besides fish??

I want to mention I don't want something that will outgrow the tank, i want a variety more so than a single pair. I have a 5 and 6 year old who will be super excited to watch whatever I get. 55 gallons seems like quite a bit of space to have a lot of options.

FRESHWATER ONLY

Please feel free to give me any advice. I'm feeling like a semi newbie... with faint memories coming back to me. My dream was a bigger tank. In the past I had 10g, 20g L, 29g. I used to have a sick tank. Also did once a week partial water changes and vacuumed the gravel.
I had mollies, guppies, tetras, a betta in it's own 10g, ghost shrimp. I'm trying to remember what else. I had started branching out into the Cichlids and had gotten a Striped Cichlid-- he had an attitude lol

HELP me! Thanks!:thanks:

Welcome back to the forum and the hobby :)

Can you drop the filter cartridge and use sponge from a different brand of filter?
Sponges last for years and only need replacing when they fall apart. Cartridges are gimmicks to make you keep giving your money to a company.

Get a couple of 5 gallon buckets (food safe if possible) and use a permanent market to write "Fish only" on them. Use those specifically for the fish and nothing else.

Get a basic model gravel cleaner to gravel clean the substrate and syphon water out.

Maybe some frozen food to vary the fish's diet.

Did you want to try live plants instead of plastic?
If yes I can post a thing about basic plant care.

-------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Welcome back to the forum and the hobby :)

Can you drop the filter cartridge and use sponge from a different brand of filter?
Sponges last for years and only need replacing when they fall apart. Cartridges are gimmicks to make you keep giving your money to a company.

Get a couple of 5 gallon buckets (food safe if possible) and use a permanent market to write "Fish only" on them. Use those specifically for the fish and nothing else.

Get a basic model gravel cleaner to gravel clean the substrate and syphon water out.

Maybe some frozen food to vary the fish's diet.

Did you want to try live plants instead of plastic?
If yes I can post a thing about basic plant care.

-------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

No I can’t use any filters from any other tanks.

In my past experience live plants did nothing but make a mess. I tried.. utter fail.

I will have my water tested.

Variety of food is a good plan. I figured to get the flakes to start so I had something

Hello, may I suggest you get a python water change system. Imo this is a game changer for lrg aquariums. Not only does it save you time, less mess & it saves your back from having to carrying 5gal buckets of treated water(40+lbs).
I have several lrg tanks & seachem safe is perfect for conditioning water w/python. I put recommended amount. Wait about 10min for it to distribute threw out tank & then add temp matched water straight from tap w/python. Different sizes available (pic 3 dosing chart).
The quick read thermometer. This saves you time, money & eyes. With digital read out there are no mistakes w/temp matching. Get a quick temp so not wasting hot water.
These are a few things I wished I had when first dealing w/lrg aquariums. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!Screenshot_20230116-094800.jpg]Screenshot_20230116-094433.jpgScreenshot_20230116-095416.jpg
View attachment 324689

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116-094626.jpg
    Screenshot_20230116-094626.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 14
Conditioner, python water changer are ordered.

Question on air stones…. What’s appropriate for a 55g? Ice never had one and don’t want to get the wrong thing. What size airline tubing and how long and is it best to have a long stone or little ones? Or a circular disc?

Conditioner, python water changer are ordered.

Question on air stones…. What’s appropriate for a 55g? Ice never had one and don’t want to get the wrong thing. What size airline tubing and how long and is it best to have a long stone or little ones? Or a circular disc?
Instead of air stone and pump you may want to get a power head. This not only provides bubbles for agitation(works like air stone)it will also provides circulation because big tanks develop dead spots(low oxygen)& cold spots(uneven temp). Plus if positioned correctly it will push waste & uneaten food into water column towards intake.
You want one w/a min gph of 4 x tank volume. 200-300gph should be sufficient maybe a little more. To much might stress fish if it blows them around.Screenshot_20230116-144754.jpg

Instead of air stone and pump you may want to get a power head. This not only provides bubbles for agitation(works like air stone)it will also provides circulation because big tanks develop dead spots(low oxygen)& cold spots(uneven temp). Plus if positioned correctly it will push waste & uneaten food into water column towards intake.
You want one w/a min gph of 4 x tank volume. 200-300gph should be sufficient maybe a little more. To much might stress fish if it blows them around.View attachment 324690

I ordered the power head.. it arrives today. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom