Lighting for 20 long reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, I'm in the process of planning a nano reef tank and am a bit confused about lighting. 2 types that I've heard a lot about are the Tao panels and the par38 bulbs. Obviously I would like to keep things as cost effective as possible (under $100 would be nice) and avoid algae outbreaks, but still be able to grow a nice variety of corals.
What have you guys found to be your favorite reef lights?
Once I get all of my supplies I plan to make a build thread:) I'm super excited for my first SW tank.
Thanks for your advice in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say the Tao panel is a better choice, you would need 2 x the par 38 to cover the tank where the one Tao would do the job. T5 lighting is cheaper to buy but you need to be replacing bulbs every 6-8 months or so. The LEDs pay for themselves over time and will look good ;)

I would say the Tao panel is a better choice, you would need 2 x the par 38 to cover the tank where the one Tao would do the job. T5 lighting is cheaper to buy but you need to be replacing bulbs every 6-8 months or so. The LEDs pay for themselves over time and will look good ;)

X2
Tao go for around 100.00 on ebay and amazon. Get the 120 watt dimmable panel.

Ok, that's what I had originally planned actually but wasn't sure if it'd be too much light on such a shallow tank :) if lighting for reef tanks is anything like lighting for planted FW tanks, I'd like to stay in the lower light range to avoid complications and algae.
Plus I have no idea how to mount/hang it..
http://m.ebay.com/itm/380986275914?nav=SEARCH
This look right? Only 84 with free shipping :)

It's much different than lighting for plants. Corals require a considerable more amount f light than most plants. Staying in the lower end severely limits your coral choices. Algae will grow if you don't control nutrients properly in a sw tank.

Ok so high light + low nutrients does not = algae? Good to know:)
I got my tank today and will be starting my build thread :)

Ok, that's what I had originally planned actually but wasn't sure if it'd be too much light on such a shallow tank :) if lighting for reef tanks is anything like lighting for planted FW tanks, I'd like to stay in the lower light range to avoid complications and algae.
Plus I have no idea how to mount/hang it..
http://m.ebay.com/itm/380986275914?nav=SEARCH
This look right? Only 84 with free shipping :)

I bought this exact one for my 29g. It looks really good and that seller shipped fast. You'll have to sign for the package though through ups

uploadfromtaptalk1410376731083.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410376751696.jpg here's a couple pics. Camera shows things u don't see with your eyes though.

So does it have 2 different settings? A moon light and a daylight?

It has a set of controls for both blue and white. 0-100 percent dials

Awesome! So you can fine tune both of them to get the color combo you like?

Sweet! I didn't know that about them. And your tank looks great, I look forward to seeing your progress on your thread :)

Someone else touched on this in your build thread. I didn't notice those lights are just 120. Same seller has 165 which is what I bought for the same price.

I'll get those. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom