LIVe ROCk QUESTIONs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianmatje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:? I want to buy live rock but it is sure expense, but they do have live rock that has been out of waters for more than a year if i put this in my tank will anything ever grow off of it. IT is alot cheaper for this. And How much live Rock should i Get for my 10 gallon tank.(in weight)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice :!: :mrgreen:

Most will suggest 1.5-2 times your tank capacity for rock. So your 10 gallon should have about 15-20 pounds of live rock.

The rock that has been out of water that long wont have any life come FROM it. BUt that doesnt mean you can't use it. You can use that rock as a base, then but just a few pounds of fresh live rock and that will seed your base and you'll have a tank full of LR in no time.

Can I ask why you're going with 10 gallon? If this is your first SW tank, you might want to consider something a little larger. The chemistry in a SW tank is very important and the smaller the tank the more the water chemistry will fluctuate.

Thats understandable. I'd recommend including a Sump in your system. You can use any sort of container for this, even a $5 rubbermaid tub. This will give you a way to increase water volume. Check out our articles section here, has some good info on sumps and other basic information.

Back
Top Bottom