MY FISH IS STUCK! I cant get him out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mae17

Aquarium Advice Regular
My little clown likes to be daring and swim into my overflow. Last time he was on he filter part so I saved him, but this time he must of flopped himself into the back part and I can't get him out. I went to the store and bought the smallest net thy had but it still int small enough. I don't know what to do. I've been at his for an hr now.

image-911370865.jpg

image-609988601.jpg

And I know the pictures aren't the greatest, but if you look at the second one, he is underneath the plastic. I'm trying to get him to swim out from under it but then there is other things in the way. This is frustrating.

A brine shrimp net will do the trick. Is it a HOB? Can you take it off and dump it into a bucket then scoop your little guy up? Also a brine shrimp net is pretty small. It wouldn't fit?

Convict2161 said:
A brine shrimp net will do the trick. Is it a HOB? Can you take it off and dump it into a bucket then scoop your little guy up? Also a brine shrimp net is pretty small. It wouldn't fit?

I have no idea what HOB is lol.. And I don't think I can take anything apart but Idk. Ill look or a shrimp net. The smallest net they had was a 3" desk top net.. I'll have to look at another store.

HOB = hang on back, meaning your filter. You should be able to lift that filter off the tank and dump the water (and the fish) back into the tank.

My guppies do this sometimes. :rolleyes:

callisto9 said:
HOB = hang on back, meaning your filter. You should be able to lift that filter off the tank and dump the water (and the fish) back into the tank.

My guppies do this sometimes. :rolleyes:

My tank is different. You can't take anything out to get the fish it's built in.

image-2136762955.jpg

That's what he's stuck in. It's like my tank is split in two

Ok I drew a picture lol a horrible picture. It if you were looking from the top of my tank.

image-583501319.jpg

Ok so the smaller section is where the filter is. My fish is swimming around in there the only way I can catch him is with a net.

Attachments

• image-3726837942.jpg
    image-3726837942.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 123
Ah, gotcha. Your filter is built-in to the back of your tank.

What about a siphon? Or do you have long aquarium tweezers? You know, both of those ideas sound kinda sketchy though. Can you get a few fingers in there?

You could rig a net with some pantyhose and a coat-hanger.

Still thinking...

callisto9 said:
Ah, gotcha. Your filter is built-in to the back of your tank.

What about a siphon? Or do you have long aquarium tweezers? You know, both of those ideas sound kinda sketchy though. Can you get a few fingers in there?

You could rig a net with some pantyhose and a coat-hanger.

Still thinking...

Lol I think id squish him with tweezers.. I can't fit fingers.. My nets are to big.. Ahhhh idk what to do.

Your best bet will be a home-made net of some sort. Have pantyhose and a hanger?

Or, can you get something narrow into it that he'd swim into like a plastic bag?

callisto9 said:
Your best bet will be a home-made net of some sort. Have pantyhose and a hanger?

Or, can you get something narrow into it that he'd swim into like a plastic bag?

That's the problem, he's scared of everything. He won't swim into anything.

Billbug68 said:
Maybe lure him out with a bit of food in some tweezers, then net him?

I tried that.. He's just so fast and so tiny I can't catch him. I guess I'll just keep trying.

Mae17 said:
I tried that.. He's just so fast and so tiny I can't catch him. I guess I'll just keep trying.

I think that's your best bet. Maybe hold the food above the net, when he goes for it scoop him up! You might also be able to build a small trap, try googling that. Also, maybe after you get him you could rig up some kind of net wall in front of the overflow so water can still go through but he can't? Best of luck to you, you'll get him eventually.

Billbug68 said:
I think that's your best bet. Maybe hold the food above the net, when he goes for it scoop him up! You might also be able to build a small trap, try googling that. Also, maybe after you get him you could rig up some kind of net wall in front of the overflow so water can still go through but he can't? Best of luck to you, you'll get him eventually.

Thanks

I FINALLY got him out. It took forever.

Ok so now I'm trying to invent something to prevent this. Doesn't anyone else have a Nuvo tank? Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Mae17 said:
I FINALLY got him out. It took forever.

Ok so now I'm trying to invent something to prevent this. Doesn't anyone else have a Nuvo tank? Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Yes I have the Nuvo 8g and had my goby go into the back chamber, chamber 3. I got him with a brine net.

What I did was stuck some filter floss near the top where the water flows into the media to prevent further.

If I may suggest something. InTank makes a great upgraded filter system for you tank. In my strong opinion it's more then worth the money! You won't have the issue with your fish anymore and better filtration. I wish they made it for the 8! There working on one they say. But check it out, for the price you can't go wrong.

Good quality product and if you break it they will replace it for free within reason of course.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine-Nuvo-16-Media-Basket-IM16MR.htm

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Yes I have the Nuvo 8g and had my goby go into the back chamber, chamber 3. I got him with a brine net.

What I did was stuck some filter floss near the top where the water flows into the media to prevent further.

If I may suggest something. InTank makes a great upgraded filter system for you tank. In my strong opinion it's more then worth the money! You won't have the issue with your fish anymore and better filtration. I wish they made it for the 8! There working on one they say. But check it out, for the price you can't go wrong.

Good quality product and if you break it they will replace it for free within reason of course.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Innovative-Marine-Nuvo-16-Media-Basket-IM16MR.htm

Back
Top Bottom