Nano Nitrogen Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same thing here. Shrimp has been in my 29 gallon for a week and ammonia has stayed at 0. I let my tank set a week without shrimp. It MIGHT have gotten to 25 one day. I wonder since I used "cured" rock, if I won't even have a true cycle. I have read that with smaller tanks you don't get true cycles. My nitrates are higher than I want, around 40. I wonder since I'm getting nitrates if I'm almost ready to go with a CUC. I think you had commented on a thread I started that was very similar to this one. I'm getting impatient. Grrrrr!

It is very possible the tank is cycled since you had live rock in it. 0's across the board is unexpected though. I would add more seafood personally :)

Like I said, hard to believe though. When I cycled my 57 gal reef with 1 raw shrimp, I hit 2+ppm ammonia, then had noticeable spikes in nitrite and nitrate. However, I was using all base rock save about 3 lbs of live rock.

I'd feel better if I had at least a spike in nitrates. But with all 0's it makes me wonder. With that being said I did use a total of 13 lbs of established LR so its possible. Doesn't adding one more shrimp for a small system seems a little overkill?

I think I might go this weekend with nothing and do a water check Monday. IF all is good I'll do a water change and maybe order a cleaning crew.

Thanks for all the help!

Same thing here. Shrimp has been in my 29 gallon for a week and ammonia has stayed at 0. I let my tank set a week without shrimp. It MIGHT have gotten to 25 one day. I wonder since I used "cured" rock, if I won't even have a true cycle. I have read that with smaller tanks you don't get true cycles. My nitrates are higher than I want, around 40. I wonder since I'm getting nitrates if I'm almost ready to go with a CUC. I think you had commented on a thread I started that was very similar to this one. I'm getting impatient. Grrrrr!

Well again....I'm a noob here, but I think if you have Nitrates then in theory you have bacteria thats eaten ammonia and Nitrites. So yeah I think you might be ready to pick up that cleaning crew.

Impatient is a understatement!!!

Update

Okay, another day later and another update. My water parameters are still mostly zero's with the exception to a little Nitrates. I have crazy amount of Algae and or Diatoms and I'm not sure why? :banghead:

The algae is also cause bubbles and I have a lot of bubbles on my rocks?

I'm assuming this is because of all the "nutrients" in the water from the shrimp? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

I have a protein skimmer, media rack with chemipure and purigen.

I tried to get the shell of the shrimp out but it just busted into small pieces, but do you guys think I'm okay to order or go to my lfs and get a cuc this weekend?

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 72
The diatoms are very normal for a new tank. They will get better with time. I personally would give it a few more days before adding a cuc but you could try adding a few things and see what happens.

Another Update.

Ammonia 0, Trite 0, Trite 5. Algae still an issue, but you guys are assuring me that this is normal. I am noticing some green algae too. Still nothing to worry about?

Its on a piece of dead coral that the local lfs guy gave me for free, it has some cool hitchhikers on it like a polyp and tube worms and a couple of star fish ....otherwise i'd throw it.

So still nothing to worry about?

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 67
The diatoms are not a problem - the hair algae could become a problem.

Time for your CuC at this point, I would say. And time for a water change. Cut the nitrates down, and cut down in PO4 to keep the algae from getting a foot hold. Also, stop lighting the tank as intensely for a few days, keep the algae growth in check till your CuC is in there.

So after some research, I realized way way to late that I used plain old RO water and not RO/DI water. This and with my lights on (thanks Fort!) during the cycle is most likely the reason for my green algae. Big thanks to Fort for helping me during this. Now I see that getting this type of water is sadly more difficult than I thought.

If you don't have your own RO/DI unit, where do you get your water?

I'm also only 30 minutes away from the pacific ocean(live in oregon) so that could be an option. I always tell people that I love living out here because of the coast but the truth is, I havent been to the coast for months!

Just going to bite the bullet and buy some ocean water from Petco and do a water change and order my cuc!

Lights out too!

Cheers

Its a worrying hobby

Another update:

Took forts advice and did a water change (2.5 gallons) I also bought a CUC. Bought 4 snails and 3 hermit crabs. Everything seems to be good, all crabs went to town on the algae, 2 of the snails buried themselves and the others are out and about. Forget the names, Ceriths or Naussarous?

My water is good, but it looks like the Trates are up more than they have ever been.

Algae isn't getting any worse but not really any getting better other than getting eaten.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 59
Having some issues with red slime and green algae. I don't have anything in the tank to feed and I use RO/DI water. Water parameters are good and lights are only on for 8 hrs. I do have some Xenia in there and a cleaning up crew and that's it.

Should I just keep up with water changes and be patient? Or should I take already drastic approach!?

Cheers

Attachments

• image-1317072638.jpg
    image-1317072638.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1805293038.jpg
    image-1805293038.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image-14689951.jpg
    image-14689951.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 46
Back