Nano Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msuburg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I was wondering about your thoughts on a Nano skimmer. I saw it in my Foster and Smith catalog this morning. Here's the summary of my Nano adventures so far. I have a 12g Nano, for a few years now. For about a year, I struggled with fish. I went through 2 clownfish :cry: , who lasted 4 months, and 6 months each. I think part of my problem was doing too drastic of water changes, throwing off the salinity and temp too much too fast for them. I haven't had fish in there for about 7 months, as I've been working on the stand for a 75g tank to set up sometime in the future.
I think it may be a while yet before the 75g is going to be set up, so I want to try to improve my Nano. I don't have a big algea problem, the only annoyance I have is some green bubble algea here and there. However, I have what appears to be undesired plant growths of some kind. They're spreading, and I can't really remove them, since the little pieces that get left behind seem to spread their growths. I'm thinking that there's an excess of some chemicals/substances that I just can't seem to get to go away, which seem to help these annoying growths. Here's a link to a previous post with one of the two types of growths:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=74862

Has anyone in here used a skimmer with a Nano? There's a 2 inch diameter, 6.5 inch height skimmer, powered by a 84 gph air injection pump.

Thanks much,

Matt

Im using the C-USA Fission Nano Skimmer in my nano. Works Great. But I also have a sump/fuge for my nano.

I use a skilter 250, and suppliment the skimmer with a air stone, rather than injection......injection is VERY loud. Dont do it if the tank is near your bedroom! The air stone works 5 times better and is silent, other than the air pump.

I like the nano skimmers too. They look cool for the money.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep you posted on what I get and how it works! I think I might go the route of the air stone, since it sounds like it works better, plus the noise would be undesirable (the tank is in the corner of my bedroom - don't want that air pump noise all the time!)

-matt

im also thinking about buying a nanoskimmer for my c-usa 12gal aquapod nano. but the only problem is how will it fit? it was the lid on top of the tank so nothing can stick out. Is the whole skimmer submerged into water and just sticks on the side of the glass? even the compartment that holds the foam stuff and then the ac cord just runs throgh a hole in the back? thanks

the very top of the skimmer has to be out of the water slightly from what i understand, but there is a very small amount of room at the hood. The current fission works great for our 12 gallon reef

Does this skimmer fit in one of the filtration compartments or does it have to go in the main part of the tank?

we already had the back filter compartment filled with excess live rock, heater, bio-balls, sponges and such, so it was put in the main part of the tank. I would assume it would work just as good in the back if you have space

Lando ... it is made to go into the rear chambers of a 12gal Nanocube.

RUMOR HAS IT ... Aqua C is coming out with a Nano version of their Remora. Marinedepot is supposed to have them by late July .. mid August! But don't hold your breath, I guess it's been a long time coming. And the official price tag could clear $100 easily!!!!

Back
Top Bottom