Nano Tank Crashed, Help Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasmarks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really need some expert advice here. Last Tuesday morning my 14gal. nano tank crashed. I had gone out of town the Thursday before and did a water change the day before I left. Everything checked out good on Thursday. When I got home Sun. eve. I noticed a droopy coral. I checked my water Mon. morn. and my salinity was very high. I put in about 16 oz. of water Monday afternoon and monday night the salinity was back down and everything in the tank looked great.
Got up Tuesday morn. and about 1/2 the tank was dead and the 2 fish that were still alive had ich. Everything else died by noon. As everything died I took it out and also did another water test everything was perfect, even the ammonia. I took a water sample up to my fish store they tested and everything again checked out fine. By Tuesday afternoon the ammonia had spiked way up.
I have done 3 big water changes the last being last saturday. also, started add 1/8tsp. of saltwater Biozyme each day. My ammonia has not dropped yet at all. I've never seen ammonia in a tank so high even when I cycled this tank last June.
Something else I discovered it must have been last thursday or friday. I keep a 1/4 cup of Zeolite in one of the chambers I decided to change it out I also had a heater in there when I went to get the bag of zeolite out I discovered the heater had busted.
I have 2 questions, any idea what caused my tank to crash and why is the ammonia not going back down. Thanks for any advice.

If your salinity got high enough it may have killed the BB which will cause a massive ammonia spike & you wont have any left to start eating the ammo.

so now it's been a week and my ammonia is still as high as I've ever seen. Should I let it sit and give it another week to cycle. Do a partial water change or change out all of the water. I'm lost...

Back
Top Bottom