New Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eb0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tell me what you think... keep in mind I had a larger tank that cracked so some fish are in a lil small enviroment but better then in the septic tank.

24G Nano Cube Deluxe
30lbs Live Arg. Sand
20lbs live Fiji rock

20 misc. hermit crabs (blue leg, scarlet)
4 Nassarius snail
10 misc snals? not sure if turbos or astreas.

1 Juven. Koran Angel
1 Flame Angel
2 Percula Clowns
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Royal Gramma

1 Green Open Brain Coral

Plans:

1 Orange Linkia Star
1 Skunk Clown

Rose Bubble Tip Anenome
Mushroms and Polyps

Prolly 10+lbs live rock.

Any advice?

(I'll get a pick up later tonight most likely.)

I also want to get some corals in there.

I'm gonna keep the stock hood and such, which gives me around 3wpg.
I was wondering what types of corals and or anenomes I could keep in there.

I am very interested in the rose bubble tip.

If you are going to all those fish in a 24 gal,and put corals in your doing a bad thing.Well,I think your 24 gal. is overstocked and nirates and nitrites would kill corals and anemone(I think).As soon as you get a bigger tank you should move all your fish(except some) to the new tank.Koran Angels need about 100 gallons,flame angel might do fine if with nothing else in it(keep in mind that pygmy angels pick at coral polyps),Perc. Clowns are okay in there also the royal gramma is okay.Brain Corals don't do good in small spaces...well you could keep it but since the tank is small,it would sting and kill other corals.I think Linkia stars get too big,no more fish after 2 percs and 1 royal gramma.the rest is okay I guess.

sorry to say that the koran and the flame really need to go. A 24 is just to small for both of those fish. Be careful with the skunk clown as they tend to be a bit aggresive and may go after you existing clowns. Wait several months on the anemone. Consider another 20lbs of LR. Ditch the sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings that came with the nanocube. Fill up the chambers with LR rubble instead. It is a much better media for a reef tank.

So get rid of the sponge even? why should i do that? i understand the bioballs and other media, just not the sponge?

The sponge can be one of your biggest contributors to NO3. I filled up the first chamber of mine half way with LR rubble. Sat a bag of Chemi-pure on that and topped it off with a sheet of Poly Filter.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice man.

What do you have filling your other chambers?

the middle chamber is filled completely with LR rubble and the last one is filled with rubble, the return pump and the heater.

I agree with Lando, Ditch those sponges, bioballs and the ceramic rings! I have a 12gal Nanocube and both chambers are filled with LR rubble. In the first chamber where the intake grate is I have LR rubble filled to the top and then what I did was cut one of the sponges in half and I place that over the rubble and right behind the intake .... hope that makes sense! Second chamber is all rubble and the third I have just the return pump and nothing else. I've also replaced the stock pump with a mini-jet 606 and have noticed a nice temp. decrease .. about 2 degrees .. and better flow!

The sponge being behind the intake grate helps catch larger particles and keeps my water crystal clear, I trade out sponges every week though.

This thread is 4 years old, moving to nano section.

Back
Top Bottom