Fluval Edge 12 Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is exactly the response I was hoping for. Thank you! I will get started on your suggestions right away!

A picture from today. Shot with iPhone.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452912706.150031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

changed my water on saturday measured my params today and everything was at 0 still(I even stirred up the sand some with the circulation pump). I'm gonna stick to falkfan317 recommended plan and hopefully add some corals either next week or the week after(two more water changes) to make sure everything is in sync

Added some corals yesterday

So I went to my LFS and picked up two coral frags after a couple more weeks of water changes and steady params. Got a one polyp duncan for $10, and a pretty zoa with four polyps for $20. Also picked up some coral Rx while I was there.

Put them in two places up top which I figured was a good idea so they could get as much light as possible. Used some epoxy holdfast stuff to hold them down and let them sit over night in the tank. This morning I woke up to the zoas lying in the dirt with a snail toppled over next to it :banghead: so I moved both around and repoxied them so that they are more secure.

Moved duncan lower on the LR as I read they like being low(minimal light and minimum flow) and the duncan seems to be thriving already, blowing around every which way. zoas are still pretty closed, not sure how to tell if they are dead or not, and not really sure how long they were lying sideways in the sand bed.

Here are some pictures:
b6STE
http://imgur.com/a/b6STE
b6STE

Last edited by a moderator:
am i supposed to remove the zoa from the plug?

Thanks. It looks like of my polyps died(the one that was face down in the dirt when it fell). What's the process on removing him?

I bought some phytofeast for my corals after asking the lfs what I could feed my duncan and zoas. I originally just wanted mysis shrimp, but was informed that the zoas wouldn't eat it. So I put a couple drops in the tank after turning the filter off and the zoas seemed to like it. duncan has been a little retracted after it had a little fight with the emerald crab the other day, but still flowing around.

I have the 6 gallon Fluval edge! I love these tanks!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454657817.684669.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454657840.518869.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454657869.688697.jpg

Don't feed your corals. There is little room for error in small tanks and liquid foods are issues in a bottle. These corals can solely be fed off of their photosynthetic needs.

good to know. the bottle expires like 10 days after i bought it lol

On another note, my duncan has been very closed since monday. I did my normal water change on sunday and the duncan seemed fine all day. Still closed up now. Zoas are out though. I've read around on forums and it seems like duncans do this often though. can't help but worry though

Yeah the first week and a half it acted normally and seemed really happy. I did move it but that was on the second day. Flow should be the same, and I've tested the water quality and it seems on par with where it has been for a while now. My salinity is low though, but it seems like it's been low for a while now, it seems as though my LFS water in general has low SG water

also it looks as though one of the polyps that looked like it died is starting to come back to life? And now my zoas close up at night and open back up in the morning which they weren't doing before(they were just staying open 24/7)

Im displeased with my LFS water I was thinking of getting an RO/DI unit. I saw this one on ebay that is a 4 stage unit 100 GPD made by Foutainhead water systems for only $90.

This seems like a crazy good deal, are these not that good? Anyone have experience with them?

Things seem to be going well. My tanks SG dropped pretty low because of the water the LFS was giving me, but I have been able to raise it back up to normal. Bought a GPS last week and it seems to be thriving in the tank which is good to see.

Move my Duncan up higher as it seemed to be upset, I am now noticing a new head sprouting on the duncan which is exciting! If all goes well I will probably add a clown fish pair next week!

I get RODI from LFS and mix it myself. You can always add more salt mix if it isn't high enough for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom