New to Saltwater Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V p1839

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to start a saltwater tank. I have had a freshwater tank for the last year and want to eventually convert it into a saltwater tank when the fish die/ I find a home for them.

What items do I need to create a successful saltwater tank?
I have a 12 gallon tank with hood. Heater, under gravel filtration, TopFin30 hanging filter and a TopFin20 air pump.

After the holidays I plan on purchasing a power center that has the day and night timers on them.

Any advice is welcome. I'm new to this and want to create a tank that I can house at least 2 True Percula Clown Fish or Ocellaris Clown Fish. Possibly want anename of some sort:(.

12 g is not easy to house 2 fish in. Your goona be doing a lot of water changes. To smaller the tank the more care required.

Your under gravel filtration has to go, it's out dated form of filtration and won't last long. Honesty a 12 g tank for a newbie reefer is not a good idea in my opinion. If you just want 2 clowns you might not struglgle as much, but it goin to be tough keeping the water clean for coral...

I would say a protein skimmer is your most important, next being your lights.

If I were you I would look for a Craigslist deal with a skimmer tank and maybe some live rock for a good price. Then I would personally build a small led light, house one fish, and load it with some soft coral and a good cleaning crew....

It's a small tank man, if you like the hobby your goon want to go bigger in 3 months

I want to go bigger but just don't have the space for a bigger tank. Do you have any recomendations for a 12 gallon saltwater tank? Or should I pretty much wait till i get a bigger tank?

Like I said 12g is just going to be difficult for your first tank. In the beginning you will be doing a lot of testing, at home If you buy your own test kits or constantly running back to the fish store. For tht and water as well. Do you live in a apartment? Hauling buckets up stairs gets old fast.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it will require a lot of time. Pico's are cute but just not practical. By the time you invest in lights, slimmer, heater rock and sand its a lot of money going into such a small setup. Believe me if yor a fish fuy, an you like the hobbie, your goona wish you had more space. There is just so much more to offer than fresh water

Make sure you understand how to cycle a tank.

Tow important pieces of equipment is a refractometer and a liquid test kit if you use api test kit for your freshwater you can use the same one except for the ph you will have to get a different one of those. When you can afford it get an automatic top off it will save a lot of headache and worry.

Why don't you research something like a wheeler goby and pistol shrimp combo for your tank. The bad thing is the digging of the pistol shrimp. Make sure you do your research before deciding on what you want catching o rouge fish can be nearly impossible without taking out all the rock.

Back
Top Bottom