New to SW; thinking about a Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am also pretty new but have been doing research and reading post for 2 months. Most people here will tell you that a nano is a bad idea especially for beginners. I think most beginners are attracted to nano's because the cost is much lower then a larger tank and they think it will be easier to maintain. While the cost is cheaper they are much harder to maintain. The main reason is that 12 gal is a very small water volume. Small water volumes are very hard to keep stable. Your PH, temp and salinity can change very quickly. SW fish are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry. They can be done but the are hard. HTH.

I agree, except with the spelling...other than that, I agree. Smaller SW tanks are harder to keep stable and will require a higher level of daily care.

I would agree as well but as long as you are realistic with your inhabitants it can be done. Don't load up on fish. Evaporation is a big factor with nanos so leaving for a weeks vacation is a bit tough if you have a little tank. Could be costly.

I started with a 29 gal back in college. That is not real big :)

You may want to check some other places, i think i've seen much better prices on them thatpetplace.com and drfosters and smith would likely be a good place to start.

Nano's are probibly doo-able for people new to SW tanks. But I wouldn't recommend even trying it unless you have had years and years of successful Freshwater experence. :|

if you do choose to do it tho, that is an excellent setup. JBJ cubes have excellent reviews from people who have them running, esp with the 2x power compact light. i started with a 10g which i was sucessful with, but its all a matter of how devoted to water qualit;y you are willing to be.

good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Back
Top Bottom