RED SLIME on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaughterwantsNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I get rid of the red slime. It seams to carpet over all my rocks.
I have cleaned off the "gunk" but it grows back at double the rate. I have limited the lighting but this red carpet grows and grows and grows.

What do I do?

FYI - the algae magic doesn't seem to work either.

lots of air bubbles trapped under the red slime too

I may be wrong sounds like Cyanobacteria. Some of my friends with nano tanks swear by Boyd's chemo clean.

How much do you feed and what do you feed? Cyno is caused by excess nutrient in the water. Cut back on feeding, and check phosphates and let us know.

I would get some Turbo Snails, I had the same issue and almoset every speck of algae is gone! :)

redsea said:
I would get some Turbo Snails, I had the same issue and almoset every speck of algae is gone! :)

Turbo snails do not eat cyno. If it is cyno you have to find the problem of it not what "cleans it". Over feeding , to long of light, not enough flow, to high of phosphates and so on. find the source and it will go away.

Turbo snails do not eat cyno. If it is cyno you have to find the problem of it not what "cleans it". Over feeding , to long of light, not enough flow, to high of phosphates and so on. find the source and it will go away.

Hmmm, are you sure? I added 5 Mexican Turbo Snails and I actually saw them pull Cyano into their mouth. :confused:

I correct my self Mexican turbo snails will have the tendency to eat cyno. I was talking about the typical turbo. But I would strongly recommend getting rid of the source and not getting something that can eat it.

I correct my self Mexican turbo snails will have the tendency to eat cyno. I was talking about the typical turbo. But I would strongly recommend getting rid of the source and not getting something that can eat it.

Oh ok, thanks.
I totally agree with you. I should have touched on that and not just the clean-up part, sorry about that. What if he added some while he was fixing this issue? Either that or he could just hand pick it it out. They pretty much clean up anything, so I think they are a good addition either way. :)

There is a product called Excital cyano stain remover. I used this along with cutting down on how much i feed and it slowly went away. Good product would definitely look into it. That cyano is a real pain to get all of it out by hand i tried that before buying this product.

DaughterwantsNemo said:
thanks All, I will look into it!!!!!!!

I used red slime remover it comes in a small bottle with like a yellow power 0_o
But it worked in like two weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom