Green slime/sludge algae - cant control and destroying plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordzcov

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Im struggling with algae in my tank that has been present for a few weeks / a month or two, and is coating the plants and slowly killing them, as well as coating a lot of the lower class and substrate.

I try to remove what I can by siphoning the gravel and peeling bits of the plants, but it seems to be growing to quickly to manage.

Im doing water changes/siphoning the gravel every few days, but have now begun doing it daily to try and take control, but still no luck.

Fish are only fed a small amount once a day, temp is around 20 degrease, and aquarium light is on from about 8:30-4:30 daily

Any advice on what causes this or how to get rid of it?

Attachments

• IMG20230223133407.jpg
    IMG20230223133407.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20230224080838.jpg
    IMG20230224080838.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20230226113355.jpg
    IMG20230226113355.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230226113409.jpg
    IMG20230226113409.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 17
Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) in a nice dark green colour form. It's a photosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that can use light to grow) that loves nutrients, red light, slow water movement and low oxygen levels.

Is the substrate a plant substrate?
What is the orange stuff in the substrate?

How often do you normally do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

What sort of light unit is above the aquarium?
How old is the light unit?
What is the Kelvin rating (written as a number with a K after it, eg 6500K) of the globe/s?

---------------------

Do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. This will physically remove the Cyanobacteria and dilute any nutrients in the water and substrate, thus removing the food source for the bacteria. You can leave the live plants where they are and gravel clean around them.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Wipe down the glass each day to remove the stuff from the glass. You can gently wipe the stuff off the plant leaves with a sponge. You can also take the ornaments outside and hose them off.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank. Uneaten food, particularly dry food, encourages this stuff.

Increase water movement around the bottom of the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

If the light unit has an old (more than 12 months) fluorescent globe, replace it with a new globe that has a 6500K rating. You should also replace the fluorescent starter whenever you replace a fluorescent globe.

If you have a LED light unit, try to set the colour spectrum (wavelength) to 6500K. You want equal parts red and blue light, with some green and white.

Give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. :)

Thanks Colin, answered below

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) in a nice dark green colour form. It's a photosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that can use light to grow) that loves nutrients, red light, slow water movement and low oxygen levels.

Is the substrate a plant substrate?
What is the orange stuff in the substrate?
- Yes, its aquarium gravel with aquarium soil underneath (thats what the orange is)

How often do you normally do water changes and how much do you change?
- i have a 60L tank. i would normally do around 20-40% once a week. While tryign to battle the algage, ive been doign around 20-40% every 2/3 days. This week, i have been doing around 20-30% daily to get as much out as i can.

Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
- yes, correct

Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?
-yes

What sort of filter is on the tank?
- i have 2 internal filters, one pointing upwards to disturb the water, one pointing alogn the gravel

How often and how do you clean the filter?
- about once a month i give the filter media a deep clean in the extracted aquarium water

What sort of light unit is above the aquarium?
How old is the light unit?
What is the Kelvin rating (written as a number with a K after it, eg 6500K) of the globe/s?
- i have the light that came with the tank starter kit. the only written number i could see was the wattage (450). the lighting unit would now be about a year old

---------------------

Do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. This will physically remove the Cyanobacteria and dilute any nutrients in the water and substrate, thus removing the food source for the bacteria. You can leave the live plants where they are and gravel clean around them.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Wipe down the glass each day to remove the stuff from the glass. You can gently wipe the stuff off the plant leaves with a sponge. You can also take the ornaments outside and hose them off.

Reduce the dry food going into the tank. Uneaten food, particularly dry food, encourages this stuff.

Increase water movement around the bottom of the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

If the light unit has an old (more than 12 months) fluorescent globe, replace it with a new globe that has a 6500K rating. You should also replace the fluorescent starter whenever you replace a fluorescent globe.

If you have a LED light unit, try to set the colour spectrum (wavelength) to 6500K. You want equal parts red and blue light, with some green and white.

Give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. :)

Attachments

• IMG20230301172034.jpg
    IMG20230301172034.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG20230301172039.jpg
    IMG20230301172039.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 13
The light tube looks like a LED light strip and you will need to check the packaging for more details. However, the Kelvin rating on LEDs don't normally change so if it was fine before, it will be fine now. LED lights produce the same colour spectrum their entire lives, which can be 20+ years.

I would say the blue green algae is growing due to the nutrients in the substrate. If you do a deep gravel clean on the substrate you will remove most of the nutrients and that should help reduce the Cyanobacteria, but also defeats the purpose of the plant substrate. Your doomed :)

the gravel and plant substrate have been in the tank since June, with the algae only appearing recently. Are there really no other options than let the algae take over or take all the soil out?

Ive bought a thin pipe and mesh bag to create a stronger siphone, it collects alot of the gravel, which i can catch int he mesh bag, but helps collect alot of the finer algae, or bits coating individual gravel that the larger siphon wouldnt pick up, so im hoping this will help me.

Do i need to eradicate the algae completely, or will it begin to die off on its own if i can get enough out, but traces remain?

If the nutrients remain, the Cyanobacteria will continue to grow.

There are products on the market designed to kill blue green algae (Cyanobacteria). Some of these are antibiotics like Erythromycin and should not be used. Other blue green algae killers contain different ingredients and can be used. Someone on here used Ultralife blue green algae remover recently and it cleared the tank in a few days. I was quite impressed because it wasn't antibiotic based and apparently did a good job.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/blue-green-algae-380807.html

https://www.amazon.com/Ultralife-Gr...blue+green+algae+killer&qid=1677714439&sr=8-1

Back
Top Bottom