School me on the 2nd chamber...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alink708

Aquarium Advice Activist
14g BC is up and running good at the moment
Current set up is :
BC carbon filter and heater in 1st chamber
filter floss , few small pieces of LR rubble and chaeto in the 2nd
Stock pump and sponge in the 3rd.

glass is scraped and I have a light on the 2nd chamber.
I have a skimmer on the way also.

How does this work with the chaeto? As it is its not submerged all the way, is that ok,will it still do its job?

Is there anything else I should be using or not using? I was going to order a 2nd chamber media basket this weekend too. Im also guessing when I put the skimmer in the 1st chamber I wont be able to use the BC Carbon filter anymore.

Am I doing things right so far? Im having a slight problem with hair algae right now,thats what made me decide to go with the chaeto before it gets out of control. Will the chaeto really cut down on the hair algae?

The standard carbon filter is, well, more or less useless :). With the 14 a protein skimmer isn't really necessary. Given the size of the tank it is easier just to do water changes a little more frequently then to use a protein skimmer but that is up to individual choice...I don't use one and have no problems.

I definitely recommend the media basket...it makes life MUCH easier. I can't give you much on the Chaeto as I don't use it...in order of the basket top to bottom I use filter floss, Purigen and Chemi-pure Elite. If you use Chaeto, I believe it goes in the second bay of the media basket.

What do you have for cleanup crew and how much hair algae do you have? If there is a lot you need to remove as much of it as you can by hand or the CUC will become overwhelmed trying to keep it in check. The Scarlet legged hermits and Cerith snails are good hair algae scavengers.

There are 3 blue leg and 1 red leg hermits in there as well as 3 snails. The hermits are doing a good job at cleaning the rock and the snails are keeping the glass clean....but the main problem with the hair algae is in the sand bed. I have been doing manual removal and im hoping the chaeto will cut down on the new growth.
Where did you get your media basket? I have only been able to find 1 for around 45$ on mediabaskets.com

As far as I know inTank (mediabaskets) is the only one that makes them.

Also i was wondering how to get the pod's and other critters out of the chaeto into my tank...I dont think they could make it through the sponge on the pump.
Do I just take it out and shake it in the main tank or something?

Back
Top Bottom