Is this hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed hair looking algae on my moss plant, but im not sure if it is? Is it an issue? I just removed the entire moss as I dont want it to spread and be an issue in my tank long term.

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3724.jpg
    IMG_3724.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 7
It appears to be the start of hair algae. Before you get rid of it, there are fish and snails and shrimps that will eat it to help keep it under control. Nerite snails, Amano and cherry shrimp, Bristlenose plecos and Otocinclus catfish are among the top hair algae eaters. If your tank temperature is in the mid 70s or lower, Florida Flagfish are big hair algae eaters. They do not do well in higher temps. :(

On a side note, if you didn't add it intentionally, your lighting and water chemistry is helping it grow so getting rid of one patch of it does not necessarily eliminate it from re-growing in your tank anyway.

It appears to be the start of hair algae. Before you get rid of it, there are fish and snails and shrimps that will eat it to help keep it under control. Nerite snails, Amano and cherry shrimp, Bristlenose plecos and Otocinclus catfish are among the top hair algae eaters. If your tank temperature is in the mid 70s or lower, Florida Flagfish are big hair algae eaters. They do not do well in higher temps. :(

On a side note, if you didn't add it intentionally, your lighting and water chemistry is helping it grow so getting rid of one patch of it does not necessarily eliminate it from re-growing in your tank anyway.

My light is on the strongest, and I keep it on for 10 hours a day, no direct sunlight issues. My water parameters are always good so no issues there.

If it gets bad I might get a Otocinclus Catfish, but its only a 25 gallon tank, and heater is always on 80 for betta. I already have nerite and amano

My light is on the strongest, and I keep it on for 10 hours a day, no direct sunlight issues. My water parameters are always good so no issues there.

If it gets bad I might get a Otocinclus Catfish, but its only a 25 gallon tank, and heater is always on 80 for betta. I already have nerite and amano

You'll need to get a few Otos. They do better in schools.
Here's the thing, your test results may say everything is fine but algae needs certain conditions to grow ( light and food) and if you have it growing, you have those conditions. It's presence is the proof. :whistle: ;)

You'll need to get a few Otos. They do better in schools.
Here's the thing, your test results may say everything is fine but algae needs certain conditions to grow ( light and food) and if you have it growing, you have those conditions. It's presence is the proof. :whistle: ;)

What do you mean by food?

Should I lower the light level? or keep it on less than 10 hours?

What do you mean by food?

Should I lower the light level? or keep it on less than 10 hours?

Light is from you, Food( nitrate) comes from the nitrogen cycle. :whistle:
The problem is if you reduce the lighting, will that effect your other plants? If they are low light plants, probably not but if they are high light plants, it will effect them as well.
Aquariums are ecosystems. All ecosystems have producers and consumers within them. If you have more producers than consumers, you have issues. If you have more consumers than producers, you eventually have dead consumers. When you have an equal amount of producers and consumers, you have balance. Balance is the best. (y)

Light is from you, Food( nitrate) comes from the nitrogen cycle. :whistle:

Sorry english is not my first language..

So are you saying I should not overfeed? And I should lower light or keep it on for fewer time?

Sorry english is not my first language..

So are you saying I should not overfeed? And I should lower light or keep it on for fewer time?

Well, you should never overfeed but what I meant was that the "food" part is nitrates and that comes naturally from the nitrogen cycle your tank went through. The only way to prevent algae growth is to maintain your nitrate level at zero (0) but if you do that, your other plants will suffer. You are better off having things ( fish or invertebrates) that consume the algae than trying to prevent it in a planted tank.
Depending on what kinds of plants you have, CO2 injection into the tank can help control algae but that gets way more complicated than just adding algae consumers.

Well, you should never overfeed but what I meant was that the "food" part is nitrates and that comes naturally from the nitrogen cycle your tank went through. The only way to prevent algae growth is to maintain your nitrate level at zero (0) but if you do that, your other plants will suffer. You are better off having things ( fish or invertebrates) that consume the algae than trying to prevent it in a planted tank.

Okay makes sense now, thank you so much!

algae

I noticed hair looking algae on my moss plant, but im not sure if it is? Is it an issue? I just removed the entire moss as I dont want it to spread and be an issue in my tank long term.

I had a problem like that as a bright light for 10 hours a day will cause it so i got myself a uv filter and that solved the problem straight away cheers Peartree

I had a problem like that as a bright light for 10 hours a day will cause it so i got myself a uv filter and that solved the problem straight away cheers Peartree

Oh I actually have a UV filter, I just never used it! I thought that was just for green algae? Is the hair algae I have green?

Yes, UV sterilizers will help kill off algae spores that pass over the light but it does nothing for what's already established/ anchored in the tank. :( UVs are a great tool since they help keep parasites from getting out of control as well. (y) Their drawback tho is that in order to be effected by the UV light, it has to pass over the bulb.
Are they making better bulbs now? Their lifespan was only about a year when I used them before. :(

Yes, UV sterilizers will help kill off algae spores that pass over the light but it does nothing for what's already established/ anchored in the tank. :( UVs are a great tool since they help keep parasites from getting out of control as well. (y) Their drawback tho is that in order to be effected by the UV light, it has to pass over the bulb.
Are they making better bulbs now? Their lifespan was only about a year when I used them before. :(

Hey I just red that Otocinclus Catfish dont eat hair algae!!

Do I even have hair algae or is it Brown Algae (Diatoms)?

I just need to make sure so I know what to buy

Back
Top Bottom