Starting 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your perfectly fine with buying the base rock. That won't affect your cycle. Unless u want to buy the live.

All depends on what you buy and you can also break and chip pieces to make them fit correctly too

Awesome. I need some flat pieces and smaller pieces. I'll definitely try that for the smaller pieces :p

I've never tried that lol. I get a screwdriver and hammer and put the screwdriver point on a spot and hit it with the hammer. Wear glasses though! Lol

Well thanks. Tomorrow once I go to my LFS for some power heads and base rock I'll try to get a pic up of the tank. It's kinda boring with just 2 snails and no little critters crawling out cause its from a matured tank. But oh well. Can't wait to get a CUC or a couple fish in there! So excited!

My past set up before I moved

I had this set up for about 2 years in a well established reef tank.

29g tank
20LR
20-25LS cant remember but it turned out to be about an inch and 3/4
Penguin filter 150gph or double up on the 100's used either set up worked great.
t5 light a friend had custom made it worked great, but the NOVA something light will do i think its a 24in by 2
water pumps I was using 2 Koralias, and I had frankesteined a fluval 306 for more water movement.

uhm on a side note if you got any kit that was a 29-30g the light bulb is 24in, not really 30, also if your tank is 13in deep I have been more sucessful with just using the t8's + led light bar for more light output, this has turned out to work for me as I had 1 carpet anemone(6-8in across), a colony of polup coral(3-5in), 2 brain corals(4-5 and 4-6in) so as this set up I had was farely stable never did they fade or anything, 25% H2O changes.

water parameter where
Nitrates: 0
trites:0
amonia:0
ph: 8.3
dKH:10
Salinity: 1.024
temp 78-80
remember that every change in parameters in this tank greatly affects the health of the coral the more stable the tank the better it will be, also do not go newbie crazy and start adding tons of fish and corals as this will throw your tank off balance and cause spike therefore resulting in deaths, and nasty parameters, cycling is the key for this games and patience is a must, also I mentioned above about the anemone but I didnt add it until my tank had at least 1yr as they need even more stable parameters, sorry i went on and bored you out if you have question shoot my inbox I will gladly help with tips and info.:popcorn::fish1::dance:

ML42 said:
I had this set up for about 2 years in a well established reef tank.

29g tank
20LR
20-25LS cant remember but it turned out to be about an inch and 3/4
Penguin filter 150gph or double up on the 100's used either set up worked great.
t5 light a friend had custom made it worked great, but the NOVA something light will do i think its a 24in by 2
water pumps I was using 2 Koralias, and I had frankesteined a fluval 306 for more water movement.

uhm on a side note if you got any kit that was a 29-30g the light bulb is 24in, not really 30, also if your tank is 13in deep I have been more sucessful with just using the t8's + led light bar for more light output, this has turned out to work for me as I had 1 carpet anemone(6-8in across), a colony of polup coral(3-5in), 2 brain corals(4-5 and 4-6in) so as this set up I had was farely stable never did they fade or anything, 25% H2O changes.

water parameter where
Nitrates: 0
trites:0
amonia:0
ph: 8.3
dKH:10
Salinity: 1.024
temp 78-80
remember that every change in parameters in this tank greatly affects the health of the coral the more stable the tank the better it will be, also do not go newbie crazy and start adding tons of fish and corals as this will throw your tank off balance and cause spike therefore resulting in deaths, and nasty parameters, cycling is the key for this games and patience is a must, also I mentioned above about the anemone but I didnt add it until my tank had at least 1yr as they need even more stable parameters, sorry i went on and bored you out if you have question shoot my inbox I will gladly help with tips and info.:popcorn::fish1::dance:

Well that sounds like about what I have except I have more LR and LS and the light and filter I will be getting don't have that good of ones yet :p my tank is like a foot and a half deep. You didn't bore me I am so interested in learning more nothing is boring me :D thanks, I'll make sure to inbox you if I have any questions.

Sorry about the delay on the picture. I added some more sand and it's extremely cloudy. Once it clears out I will rearrange the rock and get some pics up. In the mean time anyone have any tips on getting everything to clear up quickly? I have the filter and my korilia 425 running. Should I turn them off?

Okay thanks. I'll probably get a pic up first thing tomorrow morning if I'm not working. Getting all this set up is gettin me soooo excited!

When im arranging it does anyone have any suggestions? I have 20lbs of Fiji LR and 20lbs of BR.

Back
Top Bottom