Starting 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do more the 4-5 fish in that tank. How about a pair of designer clowns, a goby shrimp pair (i like the yasha haze goby) and a sixline with maybe one more open water goby for a 5th fish like a rainfords goby

Mrc8858 said:
I wouldn't do more the 4-5 fish in that tank. How about a pair of designer clowns, a goby shrimp pair (i like the yasha haze goby) and a sixline with maybe one more open water goby for a 5th fish like a rainfords goby

I really want a blenny and 1 or 2 firefish. Those are like my favorite fish to have right now in this tank.

A blenny, 1-2 firefish, and a six line would work. You really should not put 2 six line together. Unless you have a 100g+ tank.

Readingexcalibur said:
A blenny, 1-2 firefish, and a six line would work. You really should not put 2 six line together. Unless you have a 100g+ tank.

Would a blenny, 2 firefish, a 6line, and a royal gramma work? And then would my tank be full?

Would it be fine? More than likely. The problem is we eye these beautiful reef tanks at our lfs and we want them. When we stock to our max, we are ALWAYS battling algae. It's is inevitable. So what I am saying is, yes, this is possible, but it's not a good idea.

Some of the best reef tanks are tanks without fish. A lot let nitrates and nuisances to deal with.

Okay. So if I ever decide to get that many fish. I'll probably knock one of them off the list. But if I do, would better filtration and a really good skimmer ect help keep everything good so I won't have such a battle? Or just often water changes? Just so I can learn a little more.

I would do a school of fire fish and call it a day. They are lower on the waste scale and then you could focus just on your corals- the whole reason for a reef tank.

You could then do a designer shrimp and inverts

So I'm layin in bed and starin at my tank and am thinking about rearranging the rock again one last time. The only problem is everyone says it shouldn't touch the glass which is a problem because I may have too much rock. Also everyone says I need caves and stuff but if I want it to not touch the glass I'm not gonna be able to waste any space. I'll have to make a big mountain or 2 or something. Idk. The rock I have takes up alot of surface area. And I kinda want an open spot for just like a sand bed. I have 40lbs of LR in a 29 gallon tank and I feel as though it may take up to much space and may out weigh the benefits of having so much. Can anyone help with any of this?

U could break up a big piece. There are always going to be nooks and crannies for fish to get into so don't worry about that. I rearranged my rock 4 or 5 times before I liked it a lot. I'm still not completely satisfied but itll do.

You need caves for your fish not to be stressed. In a small tank you do not need huge caves because you won't have huge fish. Also, keep in mind you may not need all 40 lbs of that rock to begin with. As you acquire corals many of them will come on rocks or plugs that will add to that filtration over time.

If you like the mountain effect, try placing larger rocks on the bottom and leaving a space between them and then building a bridge between the two. Continue this until you are happy. Also, it's important to make sure you can scrape the front and the side glass. As long as you have movement in the back of the tank (nano power head) you can have the rock touching the back. Most people prefer coralline algae growth there. Try googling bio cube rock scaping to get an idea to work off of. If all else fails, quickly take the rock out of the tank and play with it until you come up with something you prefer. Just remember that if it was or is live that the longer it is out of the tank the more die off that will occur. Of course if you are cycling your tank it's not as much of an issue

Okay thanks guys. I'm gonna try makin a mountain. So it's okay if it touches the back of the glass just keep the power heads blowing through there?

Khij159753 said:
Okay thanks guys. I'm gonna try makin a mountain. So it's okay if it touches the back of the glass just keep the power heads blowing through there?

Yep. It's ok. Just keep some movement back there so detritus doesn't build up.

Okay. I think I got is all figured out and I'm much happier with it :) thanks guys. Now just gotta wait

So I've read some people use RO/DI water? Idk what that is or how to get it o whatever. I just mix tap water and the salt mix and put it in the tank. Is that okay? Will it work? Is it bad for the fish I will be getting?

Khij159753 said:
So I've read some people use RO/DI water? Idk what that is or how to get it o whatever. I just mix tap water and the salt mix and put it in the tank. Is that okay? Will it work? Is it bad for the fish I will be getting?

This would be bad. Tap is chalk full of phosphates and possible ammonia/nitrates. You will have an algae problem if your running coral capable lights. You will want to use reverse osmosis de ionized water (RODI). Google it!!! :)

Readingexcalibur said:
This would be bad. Tap is chalk full of phosphates and possible ammonia/nitrates. You will have an algae problem if your running coral capable lights. You will want to use reverse osmosis de ionized water (RODI). Google it!!! :)

Okay. I googles it. So I will need to get a system that will purify my tap water? Is that it? Also will I need to replace the water in my tank? Or just do water changes with RODI water? Would it be too big of a problem to get a clean up crew before getting the RODI system? I'm gettin close to my cycle being over im pretty sure and I'm really tired of an empty tank haha. I can wait if I should though.

Tap water is fine for the livestock as long as its free of ammo trites and trates the main issue is algae blooms caused by tap but just do water changes using Ro/Di from now on and eventually youll remove all the tap water and bad stuff from the tank over time

Okay. So it's fine to start out as long as I make sure ammonia nitrite and nitrates are good? At least until I get to buy a RODI filter?

Yes but you will be dealing with algae issues so the sooner the better

Back
Top Bottom