T5 lighting for bta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 24" t5 fixture, with two 24" 14 watt t5 bulbs - one actinic blue and one 10,000K.

My tank is small: 24" long, 6" wide 12" high bow front, so exactly one cubic foot (roughly 8 gallon tank).

I want to get a bta for my clown (I know my tank is small, but if I stay committed to top offs and water changes, I don't think it should be a problem)

Seeing as my tank is so small, and only 12 inches deep, I am wondering if my lighting will be sufficient enough to sustain a bubble tip

If my lighting is not enough, I was told I could put High output bulbs in my regular t5 fixture.
1) does any one know this to be true? and
2) if I did proceed with the t5 HO, (24" 24 watt) would that be enough lighting?

From my limited understanding of lighting, if you wanted the t5ho to work properly, you would need to upgrade the ballast that powers them.

I believe this is true also and think you would need to upgrade the lighting. Also just be aware that although a BTA can do alright in a small tank they do grow very large! I have one bigger than my open hand so if its happy it will outgrow your tank and that could be a sad day removing a clown from his nem :( there are smaller species of anemones but no guarantees your clown will host anyway, even the bubble tip...

Yeah the more I find out and research, the more I think it's not right for my tank. Think I will just go with some softies, but even then I think It would still be wise to upgrade my lighting

i would upgrade to HOs with seperate bulb reflectors should be ok. mine is under 4 T5HOs and the tank is 15" wide

A t5ho should suffice but mine grew from about 6 inches fully open to about 28 inches in about 2 months. When there is proper flow, water quality and lighting things like to grow, anemones are one of which.

Softies and zoas do require good lighting as well and if you get a good light, if an upgrade is in your future you can use that light. I purchased a 4 bulb t5ho fixture and only had two bulbs in it for a 12 gallon, and put all 4 in for a 30 tall. Another option for a nano is a par38 bulb. It's an led that is designed for nano and pico tanks. Hope this helps, good luck.

A t5ho should suffice but mine grew from about 6 inches fully open to about 28 inches in about 2 months. When there is proper flow, water quality and lighting things like to grow, anemones are one of which.

Softies and zoas do require good lighting as well and if you get a good light, if an upgrade is in your future you can use that light. I purchased a 4 bulb t5ho fixture and only had two bulbs in it for a 12 gallon, and put all 4 in for a 30 tall. Another option for a nano is a par38 bulb. It's an led that is designed for nano and pico tanks. Hope this helps, good luck.
12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color with UV) - Rapid LED

can be used with a standard dimmer wall switch you can buy at homedepot

Jmkb02 and GTi-Leo thanks that sounds like a good investment, should look better too

Back
Top Bottom