Light burns out repeatedly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abreuner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,
New here, not new to aquariums. have kept my 20gal freshwater tank for about 10 years, it was maybe 5-8 years old when I got it.
About 5 years ago my city water changed alkalinity to higher pH and I never got the balance back after lots of effort. Fish kept dying. :/ I had to shift from platys, mollys and angelfish to a single Chinese algae eater - these apparently manage a broader pH range.
That’s backstory, not a question.

Starting maybe 4-6 years ago, the strip light that I place on top of the tank lid burned out. It’s a 24” fluorescent strip light. I replaced the bulb and it burned out very quickly again. Maybe new or fixed ballast? So I bought an entire new light set.

It burns out within a few days of starting use. Repeatedly. That’s true in my old house and my new house. Changed where I plug it in. Made sure I’m using a surge protector. Never had any leaks, but use a drip loop on all cords unfailingly.

I’ve searched threads here but can’t find anything.

Anyone have any thoughts? I’ve just given up. No lights. But I’d like one.

Thanks!
Andie

Last edited:
Possible reasons: Are there any bubbles that are bursting up into the light fixture? Do the lights have any kind of protective coverings over the bulbs to prevent them from getting wet? What about the wiring in the house, is it old or new? Are these fluorescent bulbs or LEDs?

Solutions: Use a lid on your tank to keep water and humidity off the light fixture.
Check the wiring for shorts. Plug in a house light into the receptacle and place it away from the tank and see if it also blows. That can help determine if it's the lights or the receptacle.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks Andy!
There is a lid with plastic between the light and the water. Fluorescent bulb. Writing in house is very new.
I think I’ll plug in another lamp to the same spot, put it away from the tank as you suggest. Then could try a new fluorescent strip lamp and place it away as a trial.
Maybe there is moisture from the tank that gets on the plastic under the lamp stemming from splashing related to filter return. I can look into preventing that.

Appreciate your help!
Andie

Possible reasons: Are there any bubbles that are bursting up into the light fixture? Do the lights have any kind of protective coverings over the bulbs to prevent them from getting wet? What about the wiring in the house, is it old or new? Are these fluorescent bulbs or LEDs?

Solutions: Use a lid on your tank to keep water and humidity off the light fixture.
Check the wiring for shorts. Plug in a house light into the receptacle and place it away from the tank and see if it also blows. That can help determine if it's the lights or the receptacle.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks Andy!
There is a lid with plastic between the light and the water. Fluorescent bulb. Writing in house is very new.
I think I’ll plug in another lamp to the same spot, put it away from the tank as you suggest. Then could try a new fluorescent strip lamp and place it away as a trial.
Maybe there is moisture from the tank that gets on the plastic under the lamp stemming from splashing related to filter return. I can look into preventing that.

Appreciate your help!
Andie

You can just add a glass top to the tank and the light would be on top of it or get a full hood which will have a glass or plastic partition protecting the light from any water. (y)

Hey. So you've tried having it in a different room of the house and still the same? Was that definitely the opposite volt line?

The only other things can be water, a vaulty supply of lights or the ballast isn't matching the lights, which is causing excess current.

That would be my thoughts. Check what ballast you have and search for the correct lighting for that ballast. If that doesn't help. LED might be the only option. I wouldn't worry though, the LEDs now are much better than previous.

I had a big hood on my tank and after going to led, I had to get rid of the hood and make a bespoke lid from perspex. Sometimes it's not as simple as it sounds to move to LED but in the long run it'll be worth it to get some proper lighting.

Back
Top Bottom