Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlB9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was going to do a water change. Tested new RO water w/salt everything looks good but my KH looks low (about 40 w/ jungle 5-n-1 test strip) how should I bring it up? Or should I?
Thanks in advance

Your kH is 40? 40 what? pp? Normally you want to shoot for about 9dkh

Also strip test are notoriously inaccurate, I would highly recommend a liquid reagent test kit.

Last edited:
Yes it's ppm. And I'd say the color is between 40 and 80 on the test strip. Should I try to bring it up? ( ie baking soda)

Yes it's ppm. And I'd say the color is between 40 and 80 on the test strip. Should I try to bring it up? ( ie baking soda)
Well the conversion for ppm to dkH is .056, so you're at 2.24dkH-4.48dkH according to the strips. What kind of salt is it? This is new saltwater right?

I wouldn't do anything until I tested with a liquid reagent kit, personally I wouldn't trust strips to save my life..

It's Red Sea but it's old from when I had a tank back in 07/08. Whorls that affect things?

It's Red Sea but it's old from when I had a tank back in 07/08. Whorls that affect things?

I did a quick google, seems like others have experienced low alk with old salt, especially if it has clumped up. If it has clumped up, it's bad. Personally I would definitely get new salt, yours is seriously old haha

Back
Top Bottom