water level while cycleing my Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zero333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All I am currently 4 days into my Nano cycle and was curious what I should do regarding my water level? I am about 1" lower then where I started. Should I top off with "perfect" water from my LFS or should I just wait this out till the cycle is over. Only thing in the tank now is Live Sand and Live Rock. Also I am getting some brown algea on the sand and some hard (tried to scrape with my fingernail) green algea is forming on my rocks.

Thanks

current water readings
Ammonia - .25 (down from .5 yesterday)
Nitrite - .1 (down from .2 yesterday)
Nitrate - 15
Alk - normal
PH - 8.2

Also the water I picked up from the LFS is in a large sealed bucket in a storage room. Should I be keeping this water circulated?

Keep it the way it is. I only circulate salt water if I made it myself and just for a day before putting it in my tank. I would keep it closed to avoid evaporation too.

Yes top off the tank, this will keep your SG correct during your cycle. After your cycle is complete you will do a large PWC.

I've never bought water so I can't really comment on that.

The "perfect" water from the LFS is salt water, right?

You should be topping off with distilled or RO water. Or treated tap water.

thanks for the responses. the "perfect" water has salt mixed in there already. I realized adding this to the tank for any purpose other then a PWC would throw my SG all over. I Spoke with the LFS and they set me up with something for topping off.

Good that you checked with the LFS and that you realized that adding SW would cause your SG to spike.

I know you have a nano but if you look on ebay you can get an RO/DI unit for under $100 shipped and you can mix your own SW and make your own "perfect" top off water. In the long run it will save you a lot of money.

Good that you checked with the LFS and that you realized that adding SW would cause your SG to spike.

I know you have a nano but if you look on ebay you can get an RO/DI unit for under $100 shipped and you can mix your own SW and make your own "perfect" top off water. In the long run it will save you a lot of money.

Agreed. I am actually in the works for getting this done within the month. I just needed something for the time being. My old place had a RO unit with the tap in the kitchen sink. That being the case I never had this problem before. So i am currently looking for effective alternatives. I really only need about 5 gallons a month (including top-off and PWC). Any suggestions on small units?

There really aren't any "small" units. The investment for a 6 stage RO/DI unit is well worth it though. You will use it more then you realize and it will pay for it's self.

Back
Top Bottom