Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Qube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 684
You should be topping off with RODI water that contains no salt. If your salinity is anything more than 0 on your top off water, then you will have salinity issues. As water evaporates, salt does not. The more water that evaporates, the higher your salinity will rise, your "fresh" RODI water will then dilute the water back down to the correct salinity.
__________________

__________________
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
You should be topping off with RODI water that contains no salt. If your salinity is anything more than 0 on your top off water, then you will have salinity issues. As water evaporates, salt does not. The more water that evaporates, the higher your salinity will rise, your "fresh" RODI water will then dilute the water back down to the correct salinity.
Yes, when we say top off with RO water we are referring to 100% freshwater (no salt). This is what you should be topping off with, not saltwater. Saltwater is only for water changes.
__________________

__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
pairenoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379
i only have a bucket full of saltwater ro from the store, i should of just bought freshwater and a box of salt :/, but ill need to buy a refractometer and ro unit soon :/
__________________
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
i only have a bucket full of saltwater ro from the store, i should of just bought freshwater and a box of salt :/, but ill need to buy a refractometer and ro unit soon :/
Well you need freshwater on a daily basis so i would be going to the fish store to get some ro/di only or buy an ro/di unit asap. Salinity will rise rapidly without freshwater.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
pairenoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379
i guess next time i go to my fish store to get more saltwater ro ill buy a bucket of freshwater but how can i increase my ph? i went from 8.4 to maybe 8.2 and i might use tap water again once this week so it might go lower
__________________
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Qube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
i guess next time i go to my fish store to get more saltwater ro ill buy a bucket of freshwater but how can i increase my ph? i went from 8.4 to maybe 8.2 and i might use tap water again once this week so it might go lower
8.2 is fine. You just don't want abrupt fluctuations in you PH. Any PH swings should be gentle. Generally speaking, your PH will be lower when the lights first come on, and higher when the lights go off. This is due to the algae within the corals taking in carbon dioxide and producing oxygen while the lights are on and photosynthesis is occurring. That said, pick a time that you can check your PH. That time should be the same whenever you test your PH. This will create a constant for you.
__________________
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
pairenoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379
lets say all the water in my tank right now is ro saltwater. Its at 8.2-8.4 ph, my tap water is reading yellow ~7 ph. If i top off 1 gallon of this tap water for evaporation, i read that it will in no way change my TANK ph. Any word on that? Im still researching all this ro/di unit stuff so i will have to suffer and use tap water a few times here and there, since i cant make it to the fish store frequently because of work
parameters i just checked
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
1.025 salinity
77 c
__________________
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
lets say all the water in my tank right now is ro saltwater. Its at 8.2-8.4 ph, my tap water is reading yellow ~7 ph. If i top off 1 gallon of this tap water for evaporation, i read that it will in no way change my TANK ph. Any word on that? Im still researching all this ro/di unit stuff so i will have to suffer and use tap water a few times here and there, since i cant make it to the fish store frequently because of work
parameters i just checked
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
1.025 salinity
77 c
It may effect pH, tap water is not advisable for reef tank use and is not 0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
willbratz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 769
You can also purchase distilled water from the store and use it for top offs until you get and RO/DI pump. It usually runs about 0.99 cents a gallon.
__________________
willbratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
pairenoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379
ah you read my mind, i just did a ton of googling and found out walmart sells distilled water as well as ro/di water

im going to check it out today
__________________

__________________
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.