Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

If this was the third fish in a 10G tank then it was overstocked before you got the Cardinal. In a 10G you can only fit one fish, a small Goby.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
If this was the third fish in a 10G tank then it was overstocked before you got the Cardinal. In a 10G you can only fit one fish, a small Goby.
Stocking levels are very subjective. One guy at a LFS has a ton of experience (he has over 400 gallons of saltwater in his home) and he said it would be fine. Many people on other forums said it would be fine.

There was absolutely no aggression and 0 Nitrate, so I don't see how overstocking could be blamed, especially if the fish only lasted 4 days.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is all in what you think is right in the end. I mean obviously you dont want to stuff 5 fish in a 10g but i would stay stop at 3 NO MATTER WHAT. I dont care what your opinion is 4 is too much. I think 3 is too much but it is not far feched and it depend son the set up and what fish you get. You also got to look at what fish you are stocking. Is the fish a bottom dweller or swims at the top? For example a goby and a clownfish is perfect for a 10g. They are in completely different areas in a tank, and a bangaii with them is not horrible even though a bigger tank is better. So what you have is not horrible. DONT go over 3, Even if the nitrate has no problems and is at 0 the fish will have issues and there will be no room.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Activist

We are in complete agreement there. I knew that 3 fish was on the high end but I thought as long as I stayed on top of the maintenance it would be ok, especially with the species I have selected.

Once I put the Cardinal in, I definitely considered the tank "done".
Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
opps wrong place
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekz View Post
Stocking levels are very subjective. One guy at a LFS has a ton of experience (he has over 400 gallons of saltwater in his home) and he said it would be fine. Many people on other forums said it would be fine.

There was absolutely no aggression and 0 Nitrate, so I don't see how overstocking could be blamed, especially if the fish only lasted 4 days.
nitrates isnt what you need to be worried about in an over stocked tank. over stocked tanks usually have ammonia and nitrites. ive looked thru this thread but dont remember and would have to go back and check but do you have a sump? i dont think you did but i dont remember. any ways if you dont have a sump you prolly have around 7 gallons of water in the tank. maybe less. thats not enough for 3 fish. specially in salt water.

take in the fact you didnt qt your fish makes it even worse. what if it had something before you got it and now you gave it to the rest of your tank. maybe your lfs owner with his experiance and his 400 gallons of tanks could have run an over stocked tank. but as soon as you put your non qt fish in a over stuffed tanked your odds were low of keeping it alive.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmy4993 View Post
nitrates isnt what you need to be worried about in an over stocked tank. over stocked tanks usually have ammonia and nitrites

take in the fact you didnt qt your fish makes it even worse. what if it had something before you got it and now you gave it to the rest of your tank. maybe your lfs owner with his experiance and his 400 gallons of tanks could have run an over stocked tank. but as soon as you put your non qt fish in a over stuffed tanked your odds were low of keeping it alive.
As I said, Ammonia and Nitrite are also at 0. What magic tricks could my lfs owner possibly use to run an overstocked tank that aren't available to me?

A quarantine tank is for protecting the fish that are already in the tank, not the new fish. It is completely irrelevant here.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually it's not. A QT prevents any disease or sickness a fish may have from getting into the DT. Ususally signs show up with two weeks and if there are none then the fish can be placed in the DT. QTs are also good for getting a new fish eating and to fatten it up so it is more prepared for the competition of the DT. In addition if a fish becomes sick during the QT process it can be treated without adding chemicals that may harm things in the DT. Fish that develope a disease in the DT can be placed in the QT to treat with chemicals.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Activist

Uhhhh, everything that you just said was about protecting the DT.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

well sort of. i think he is saying it will help protect your new fish since the new fish is so weak. The new fish has just been shipped from who knows where and probably hasnt eaten in a long time..im not 100 percent sure but i think the new fish (being all weak) could even possibly get a disease from the DT that your other strong fish wouldnt get...common example would be ick. Now if the new fish gets ick from your dt there is a possibility your other fish might get it too and could cause i pretty big problem. You are right though i think qt is mostly for protecting your existing fish from getting any new disease introduced to the tank.

I dont think not qt you fish was the cause of its death here since as you say he was eating at the store and was not being harassed by any tank mates. But it is always a good idea to qt....since you probably wont be getting any more fish (maybe one more) i dont think you would have to worry about having a qt set up

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, journal, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com