10 Gallon Saltwater Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll need to drop some food in for the hermits. Drop a few small pieces of mysis shrimp in every 2-3 days. If some seem to not be getting food try put the food in front of it. What kind of snails did you get?

You'll need to drop some food in for the hermits. Drop a few small pieces of mysis shrimp in every 2-3 days. If some seem to not be getting food try put the food in front of it. What kind of snails did you get?

Dried mysis shrimp?

To be honest I'm not sure what kind of snails they are. I'll try to get some decent pictures tomorrow.

Also you might wanna tell that place with the Cardinal that those are Manjo anenomes and they are bad news.

They are well aware; it was written right on the glass that they were $9.99! Why are they bad?

What kind of snails did you get?

Yay, more crappy cell phone pics!

There are two "spiral" ones like this:
img_1092430_0_338c10a653b595af2e0919dc9bc186f9.jpg

And three "dome" shaped ones like this:
img_1092430_1_ca6010fe5ffa1f894103737d7b5c8d8f.jpg

Following :) Great job on cycling your tank. I didn't know anything about it and didn't do anything the right way. Already have two clowns that we put in the day after we set up the tank. They seem to be doing fine and this is day 16. I get my test kit today. I trying to learn all I can because this seems to be a hobby that my whole family loves. Post lots of pics of progress :)

I'm glad everything is going great for you, Carla. The next time you will know a little better. You should setup your tank. Start the cycle and test your water for proper SG, ammonia and nitrite. After the ammonia and nitrates raise and fall back to 0 (you only know this by testing the water) then and only then do you start to add animals to the tank (slowly). If you put animals into your tank to early they have a good chance of dying from ammonia and nitrite which burns their gills.

Well it's been a while since I've updated because to be honest not a lot has happened....until now!

Unfortunately 3 of the snails have died. It did seem that they would fall and not be able to right themselves and get stuck. If I saw this I would reach in and help them out, but after a while it just got ridiculous so I had to let nature take its course. I've also lost 1 crab, no idea why.

Finally my Firefish came in! It was delayed because they didn't want to ship it over the Easter weekend, but today it came in and I picked it up. He just finished drip acclimating for 2 hours so I had to snap a couple pics.

img_1098739_0_c103fa1920837fdb3a526363940c8a39.jpg

img_1098739_1_888002cdb87e9df18c075a2eb89500bf.jpg

I do have quite a few little white specs with legs on my glass. They look like this but TINY:
img_1098739_2_b7b73a501331946b12bc0539615a9498.jpg

What is it, should I be concerned?

I have heard of them actually being a type of jellyfish. keep in mind they dont last long in an aquarium and are usually just there in the beginning stages.
Melevsreef.com - Jelly
is that what it looks like?

Check the link I posted above for ID'ing but I think it is some kind of sponge. Nice Firefish. He looks nice and healthy. :)

That link was the first thing I checked, but I don't see anything like this on that page.

I was worried that the firefish would be really timid and just hide in a corner for the first few days. But he's swimming allover the place and seems to be doing really great

I have heard of them actually being a type of jellyfish. keep in mind they dont last long in an aquarium and are usually just there in the beginning stages.
Melevsreef.com - Jelly
is that what it looks like?

Well that certainly got me curious, and reminded me that I had a little pocket microscrope thingy kicking around somewhere. I can't believe this worked but; taken with my iPhone THROUGH my microscope:
img_1098747_0_8942691904626b768776931f250b9e82.jpg

Those little things on your glass are more then likely Aiptasia babies. If they get a little bigger and are solid white then they are either mini starfish(astaria-sp)) or spinoid worms.

So today on my way home from work I stopped at the pet store right by my house and they had a bunch of little Clownfish in stock.

Very convenient instead of ordering one in from the store that's an hour away, so I couldn't resist.

I picked one up and drip acclimated it for about 2.5 hours, but ever since I put it in the tank, it has been staying in one corner and swimming erratically. It looks like he's trying to swim but can't, so I thought maybe the powerhead was too strong for him. The Firefish has never seemed to have any problems, he definitely has to "kick" once in a while to hover in place, but he certainly doesn't have any problems swimming around. But after leaving the powerhead turned off for a while, nothing has changed. This video was taken with the powerhead off:

YouTube - New Clownfish

Update:
Well I plugged the powerhead back in cause I just don't think that it could be the problem, it's pretty much the smallest one you can buy. He has come out of the corner but still has not explored very much. It just seems like it takes quite a bit of effort for him to stay in one spot, maybe this is normal behaviour and I'm just overreacting. I did put some flakes in the tank and he went right for them, so I guess at least that's a good sign.

Nothing to worry about. Mine did that for two weeks straight before going anywhere else. They eat and sleep so you don't need to worry, just wait. :)

even more upsetting is when they host that small area and hardly leave it. Very terrirtorial little guys.

Back
Top Bottom