Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #81
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Those kits dont allow any dimming of the leds. Its better to buy everything separately and get dimmable drivers.

Those heatsinks may have the leds spaced too far apart if optics are to be used.

I use meanwell dimmable drivers (more $$$ but much easier to use and connect).

Matt
Isn't that what the third link is? 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

They sell heatsinks with no holes too, so I could drill wherever, if thats the way I decided http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...luminum/Detail etc, lots of sizes
__________________

__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #82
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Those kits dont allow any dimming of the leds. Its better to buy everything separately and get dimmable drivers.

Those heatsinks may have the leds spaced too far apart if optics are to be used.

I use meanwell dimmable drivers (more $$$ but much easier to use and connect).

Matt
Second link he provided had dimmable drivers. I did buy everything separate and that kit would have saved me a lot of headache
__________________

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: tallahassee, florida
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Second link he provided had dimmable drivers. I did buy everything separate and that kit would have saved me a lot of headache
Oh I see now...They have dimmable. Before when I built mine, they didnt have them.

You might want to reconsider XP-G and XP-E leds. A lot of work is being done and suggest warmer whites are the way to go. I have XR-E 6500k and they are much more yellow. People are finding the lower kelvin leds to have better colors in the corals. XR-E are also cheaper!

People are way over doing it with the led powers used. XR-E are the most inefficient, but cheaper and better colors. They still provide enough PAR to seriously roast corals on the bottom of the tank.

Check out LED Aesthetics: What do really think of your color? - Nano-Reef.com Forums

EDIT: Buying separately, 24 xr-e leds with optics plus two meanwell dimmable analog is $226.00. Thats much cheaper than the kit with the over do it leds with potentially less color. The other random things in the kit are all over priced and can be bought at lowes or homedepot and radioshack for less. Kits should save a substantial amount of money, not cost more.

Matt
__________________
mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #84
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
EDIT: Buying separately, 24 xr-e leds with optics plus two meanwell dimmable analog is $226.00. Thats much cheaper than the kit with the over do it leds with potentially less color. The other random things in the kit are all over priced and can be bought at lowes or homedepot and radioshack for less. Kits should save a substantial amount of money, not cost more.

Matt
How is it way more than this: 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers and you only pay shipping once. I don't get it.

And if you don't want the "over do it LEDs" there is this for less money:
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

I want to make sure to make the right decision, and I don't know tons about LED yet.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread Jim.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: tallahassee, florida
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
How is it way more than this: 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers and you only pay shipping once. I don't get it.

And if you don't want the "over do it LEDs" there is this for less money:
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

I want to make sure to make the right decision, and I don't know tons about LED yet.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread Jim.
The first kit is $250.00, which is $24.00 more than just buying everything separately (24 xr-e leds with optics and two dimmable drivers) and using power cables that most DIYers have laying around.

The second kit is $235.00 which is still $9.00 more than buying separately.

You can buy everything separately from them and pay shipping once. (Which isnt that much either).

Seems to me that they ought to give a decent discount for buying all that together rather than maybe saving a buck or two if you didnt have some power cables laying around and some hook up wire.

If you really dont have any of the hook up wire and power cables, then buying the kit will pretty much just save you a trip to the hardware store.

Dont worry, DIY led setups are extremely easy and plenty of us here are more than willing to help! I believe 24 leds work well up to 29g biocube tanks.

Matt
__________________
mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #86
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
The first kit is $250.00, which is $24.00 more than just buying everything separately (24 xr-e leds with optics and two dimmable drivers) and using power cables that most DIYers have laying around.

The second kit is $235.00 which is still $9.00 more than buying separately.

You can buy everything separately from them and pay shipping once. (Which isnt that much either).

Seems to me that they ought to give a decent discount for buying all that together rather than maybe saving a buck or two if you didnt have some power cables laying around and some hook up wire.

If you really dont have any of the hook up wire and power cables, then buying the kit will pretty much just save you a trip to the hardware store.

Dont worry, DIY led setups are extremely easy and plenty of us here are more than willing to help! I believe 24 leds work well up to 29g biocube tanks.

Matt
Ok, so its really not that much more money for the convenience, especially considering I dont have any power cables or wires laying around. I have a lot bigger than a 29g, but my situation is a little different. I will put it on my build thread.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #87
AA Team Emeritus
 
Jimbo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,996
dang I don't look over here for a minute and you guys go LED crazy. for what you are doing Ry I would go with the XP-G since you need all the power you can get. Those kits are really nice but do some back checking on other forums about them, I have a negative connotation associated with their site but I can't remember why.
__________________
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #88
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
dang I don't look over here for a minute and you guys go LED crazy. for what you are doing Ry I would go with the XP-G since you need all the power you can get. Those kits are really nice but do some back checking on other forums about them, I have a negative connotation with their site but I can't remember why.
I will look into them thanks. Ya, for what I am doing, I need the light to penetrate through 3/4" thick x 10" acrylic center brace.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #89
AA Team Emeritus
 
Jimbo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,996
I made the move to my apartment yesterday, with no casualties. Only damage thus far is my joe the coral was touching my green mille and the joe now has a slight burned tip.

I ordered a new RO/DI, salt and other essentials that should be here monday, until then I have to finish the stand its going on and figure out where im gonna put it.

Everything looks pretty mad right now, and I can't set up the sump till monday, so I'm hoping they do alright in the 7-8 gallons they are in now. I might end up going out to buy water and just plugging up the bulkhead to fill it. I'll be sparse for awhile, im stealing internet now as it is, pics as soon as I can.
__________________
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #90
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
Glad everything has made it thus far.
__________________

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, jimbo7, led, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build Ziggy953 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 947 07-27-2010 03:09 PM
New 55 Gal. Build Wenty Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase 17 11-14-2009 09:53 AM
If you're going to build...build big, right? Maj.Striker Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 18 07-01-2005 07:01 PM
My first 3d build Fehyd DIY Projects 5 01-31-2005 12:26 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.