Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #81
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Those kits dont allow any dimming of the leds. Its better to buy everything separately and get dimmable drivers.

Those heatsinks may have the leds spaced too far apart if optics are to be used.

I use meanwell dimmable drivers (more $$$ but much easier to use and connect).

Matt
Isn't that what the third link is? 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

They sell heatsinks with no holes too, so I could drill wherever, if thats the way I decided http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...luminum/Detail etc, lots of sizes

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #82
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Those kits dont allow any dimming of the leds. Its better to buy everything separately and get dimmable drivers.

Those heatsinks may have the leds spaced too far apart if optics are to be used.

I use meanwell dimmable drivers (more $$$ but much easier to use and connect).

Matt
Second link he provided had dimmable drivers. I did buy everything separate and that kit would have saved me a lot of headache

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Second link he provided had dimmable drivers. I did buy everything separate and that kit would have saved me a lot of headache
Oh I see now...They have dimmable. Before when I built mine, they didnt have them.

You might want to reconsider XP-G and XP-E leds. A lot of work is being done and suggest warmer whites are the way to go. I have XR-E 6500k and they are much more yellow. People are finding the lower kelvin leds to have better colors in the corals. XR-E are also cheaper!

People are way over doing it with the led powers used. XR-E are the most inefficient, but cheaper and better colors. They still provide enough PAR to seriously roast corals on the bottom of the tank.

Check out LED Aesthetics: What do really think of your color? - Nano-Reef.com Forums

EDIT: Buying separately, 24 xr-e leds with optics plus two meanwell dimmable analog is $226.00. Thats much cheaper than the kit with the over do it leds with potentially less color. The other random things in the kit are all over priced and can be bought at lowes or homedepot and radioshack for less. Kits should save a substantial amount of money, not cost more.

Matt
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #84
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
EDIT: Buying separately, 24 xr-e leds with optics plus two meanwell dimmable analog is $226.00. Thats much cheaper than the kit with the over do it leds with potentially less color. The other random things in the kit are all over priced and can be bought at lowes or homedepot and radioshack for less. Kits should save a substantial amount of money, not cost more.

Matt
How is it way more than this: 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers and you only pay shipping once. I don't get it.

And if you don't want the "over do it LEDs" there is this for less money:
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

I want to make sure to make the right decision, and I don't know tons about LED yet.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread Jim.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
How is it way more than this: 24 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers and you only pay shipping once. I don't get it.

And if you don't want the "over do it LEDs" there is this for less money:
24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers

I want to make sure to make the right decision, and I don't know tons about LED yet.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread Jim.
The first kit is $250.00, which is $24.00 more than just buying everything separately (24 xr-e leds with optics and two dimmable drivers) and using power cables that most DIYers have laying around.

The second kit is $235.00 which is still $9.00 more than buying separately.

You can buy everything separately from them and pay shipping once. (Which isnt that much either).

Seems to me that they ought to give a decent discount for buying all that together rather than maybe saving a buck or two if you didnt have some power cables laying around and some hook up wire.

If you really dont have any of the hook up wire and power cables, then buying the kit will pretty much just save you a trip to the hardware store.

Dont worry, DIY led setups are extremely easy and plenty of us here are more than willing to help! I believe 24 leds work well up to 29g biocube tanks.

Matt
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #86
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
The first kit is $250.00, which is $24.00 more than just buying everything separately (24 xr-e leds with optics and two dimmable drivers) and using power cables that most DIYers have laying around.

The second kit is $235.00 which is still $9.00 more than buying separately.

You can buy everything separately from them and pay shipping once. (Which isnt that much either).

Seems to me that they ought to give a decent discount for buying all that together rather than maybe saving a buck or two if you didnt have some power cables laying around and some hook up wire.

If you really dont have any of the hook up wire and power cables, then buying the kit will pretty much just save you a trip to the hardware store.

Dont worry, DIY led setups are extremely easy and plenty of us here are more than willing to help! I believe 24 leds work well up to 29g biocube tanks.

Matt
Ok, so its really not that much more money for the convenience, especially considering I dont have any power cables or wires laying around. I have a lot bigger than a 29g, but my situation is a little different. I will put it on my build thread.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #87
AA Team Emeritus

dang I don't look over here for a minute and you guys go LED crazy. for what you are doing Ry I would go with the XP-G since you need all the power you can get. Those kits are really nice but do some back checking on other forums about them, I have a negative connotation associated with their site but I can't remember why.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #88
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
dang I don't look over here for a minute and you guys go LED crazy. for what you are doing Ry I would go with the XP-G since you need all the power you can get. Those kits are really nice but do some back checking on other forums about them, I have a negative connotation with their site but I can't remember why.
I will look into them thanks. Ya, for what I am doing, I need the light to penetrate through 3/4" thick x 10" acrylic center brace.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #89
AA Team Emeritus

I made the move to my apartment yesterday, with no casualties. Only damage thus far is my joe the coral was touching my green mille and the joe now has a slight burned tip.

I ordered a new RO/DI, salt and other essentials that should be here monday, until then I have to finish the stand its going on and figure out where im gonna put it.

Everything looks pretty mad right now, and I can't set up the sump till monday, so I'm hoping they do alright in the 7-8 gallons they are in now. I might end up going out to buy water and just plugging up the bulkhead to fill it. I'll be sparse for awhile, im stealing internet now as it is, pics as soon as I can.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #90
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Glad everything has made it thus far.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, jimbo7, led, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com