Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
135g Stock Thoughts

I have a 135g reef tank. I'm tossing around ideas for a couple more fish. I have a 40g sump, refugium, octopus skimmer, and a reactor. My current stock is. My tank has been up and running for a little over a year. The largest fish is my yellow tang (3" or so)

2 o.clowns 2 chromies Anthias
Bicolor Angel 6 ln wrasse Pink spot goby
Lawnmower Yellow tang Kole tang
Orange S tang

I also have a cuc. I'm wanting to get 1-2 more tang, and maybe a pair of skunk clowns. Thoughts? Thanks for reading.
__________________

__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
I wouldn't get clowns or tangs. Some fire fish or jawfish would be nice. Keep an eye on those tangs
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
I have a 135g reef tank. I'm tossing around ideas for a couple more fish. I have a 40g sump, refugium, octopus skimmer, and a reactor. My current stock is. My tank has been up and running for a little over a year. The largest fish is my yellow tang (3" or so)

2 o.clowns 2 chromies Anthias
Bicolor Angel 6 ln wrasse Pink spot goby
Lawnmower Yellow tang Kole tang
Orange S tang

I also have a cuc. I'm wanting to get 1-2 more tang, and maybe a pair of skunk clowns. Thoughts? Thanks for reading.
Tangs get territorial and aggressive. If you're going to want more than one they all have to be introduced at the same time to try to avoid these issues, same with wrasses and angelfish. Clowns are tricky, like most damsels. Personally, I like to steer clear of anything other than ocellaris clowns or the percula clowns. The others are just plain mean. You should look into something like a black and white heni. Or maybe a copper banded butterfly fish. They're a little more sensitive and the copper banded butterfly is kind of hard to get to eat. But they're all really cool fish.

Also, I agree about the firefish. In a tank that size you could get an orange firefish and maybe a purple firefish. (Added at the same time to avoid aggression.) you could also add something like a school of bar gobies.
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jonnypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 388
Flowing. Because I will be starting my stocking for my recent 135g build.
__________________
Jonnypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
Flowing. Because I will be starting my stocking for my recent 135g build.
Any pics? I'm hoping more people chime in. Think I'm going to get 3 ban goby this week.
__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jonnypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post

Any pics? I'm hoping more people chime in. Think I'm going to get 3 ban goby this week.
I have a build page. Right now I am trying to get my hands on at least another 100lbs of rock. They its all fine tuning with the sump and ato with my reef keeper.
__________________
Jonnypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
What size sump are you going to run?
__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post

I have a build page. Right now I am trying to get my hands on at least another 100lbs of rock. They its all fine tuning with the sump and ato with my reef keeper.
Craigslist is the best place for us hobbyist. I picked up 165lbs for $80. I have to cute it, but I wasn't about to pass up that deal.
__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
woody390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,041
i'd look at a foxface and or orange back fairy wrasse. also hows your pod population could look into a mandarin
__________________
woody390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
i'd look at a foxface and or orange back fairy wrasse. also hows your pod population could look into a mandarin
I want a foxface, but It seems like I already have so much yellow. I've had a mandarin, but my 6 line was terrorizing him. I had to re home him. You think the fairy wrasse would be ok with the 6 line?
__________________

__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.