90gal stocking list help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there. Been awhile since I've posted. Finally in place I own and ready to put up a bigger tank than my 29cube and need a little help with stocking. Buying the tank next week and starting the slow process.

90gal Aqueon 48x18x25
Trigger emerald 34 sump so about 120gals of total system. Going for a wall aquascape with a lot of hiding spots

Already have a 1 clown and 1 Beng cardinal that I will transfer over.

The rest I would like to add
1 diamond goby
1 Manderin (after pods established)
1 fairy wrasse
1 kole tang
2-3 anthias

2 cleaner shrimp
4 pepperments
1 blood shrimp

Thoughts? Can I add maybe a smaller fish like a file?
I appreciate any feedback!

From what I've read, Mandarins struggle to survive in tanks where there are faster moving fish (I.e. Wrasses). They don't get a fair shake at the food.

Yeah I've heard that too. The mandarin would be nice but not going to put it in if it's not going to thrive.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it. Only been doing a cube for 4 years and not a ton of experience with "larger" tanks like I am putting up

I also have a question about cycling and rock.

I have about 35lbs in the display of my 29cube and two of the compartments behind are stuffed with rubble and marine pure balls.

I just purchased about 95lbs of dry rock and put it in a aquascape I liked. Tried posting a picture but says photo sharing is disabled on my forum? Any how my plan was to have the display filled with all the new dry rock in the aquascape. The 35lbs of 4yr seasoned life rock will go in the trigger 34 fuge and marine pure in the overflow before the return section.

My question is with 35lbs and a ton of marine pure going in the same time as the display rock will I be able to put my 1 clown 1 beng cardinal and a peppermint shrimp in right away? Will the current BB from the cube rock be enough to sustain the cycle? Obviously with so much dry rock I would stock thup aquarium slowly. Just not sure if I need to still cycle the tank or If I can slowly build up the BB.

Thanks for the advice!

If you place your dry base rock in first than add the already seeded rock this should be enough to sustain the existing stock for a safe transfer , you may sustain a mini cycle but if any very minimal But I think that 35lbs of established rock will keep you in check , just keep a eye on your parameters, I did this very same thing about 3 years ago other than a lot of work things went smooth , I never encountered any type of mini cycle as I used all my established rock,

this is when I did mine maybe it can give you some ideas
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/seaweeds-90g-build-transformation-293835.html

Thanks! Just checked out your thread. Beautiful set up. When you added the dry rock did you soak it in rodi water or anything or just rinse them off and put in? I've heard people soaking it to get any phosphate to leach out? Not sure if this is proven tho

I didn't need much base rock as I had tons of seeded rock from 2 existing tanks , the little bit I did used I just rinsed it in some of the old tank water to get any dust off , I never really seen much with phosphates , even if you have to do large water changes they can help resolve that rather fast .

Any recommendations for a internal skimmer? Looking between vertex 150, skimz sk184 or sk204, or a reef octopus regal 150int.

Anyone use or have one? I want to obviously get a oversized skimmer but don't want anything so big it won't be effective.

I appreciate any info!

Just the rock right now. Will definitely be gluing the pieces together for stability once I get it in the tank. Tank should be here end of next week. Once in the house I'll get the sump in and plumb it for a water test.

What skimmer do you run on your system?

I"m using a reef octopus in the sump , It works great always pulling crud out of the water
I get a lot of skim-mate because I use lots of different macros .

Plumbing question:
Tank has a off center overflow with a 3/4" and a 1" hole. I was planning on using the herbie method in the overflow. 3/4" for main and 1" for emergency.

I would have the return just going up the back and over in the tank.

Anyone do this and have feedback? 3/4" big enough for a siphoned main? Would I do 3/4" for the return or would a 1" be better?

Current return I have already is a eheim compact +3000 and that will be it. I'll be running a phosbane reactor off its own mj900. Thought about doing a manifold for the reactor but not sure yet.

I already have 2 mp10wqd....you think this will be enough inside the display?

I guess I should mention the goal is this for to be a mixed reef. Zoe garden, diff kinds of lps scattered across, a clam, sea fan, a couple hardy sps species for the top. Potentially a rbta but not sure yet.

Hopefully going to get the tank today or tomorrow.

Appreciate the input sniper. I'll try the mp10s and see how it goes. If both get too loud at 100% or so I rather beef up for a quieter units. Maybe get the Neptunes for my apex.

The two mp10s I already have are the wireless quiet drive ones. Only have 1 on my cube and the other is just sitting in the stand waiting to be used. Plan was a 40breeder but I wanted a slightly bigger tank.

Also I have a ton of sc80 parts and tubes. Is the smaller inside diameter of sc80 vs sc40 going to cause any issues? Would rather use all the sc80 parts I have first but not sure if it is overkill for the system and will restrict flow?

Back
Top Bottom