Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #421
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you looked into Stunner Strips?
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
...You might want to do some trig to make sure you aren't getting too much spotlighting.
OH GOD NO, NOT MATH!

lol.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #422
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
sounds good to me, how far above the tank will it be and how close are you going to have the LEDs? You might want to do some trig to make sure you aren't getting too much spotlighting.
I plan on bolting the heatsink right to the underside of the canopy, so the hieght would be 16"-heatsink depth= around 14.5" I guess. So about 14.5" from the water surface.
Do some "trig" as in trigonometry? I don't think so, I took Algebra II in 11th grade and an advanced algebra in college. When I found out I had to continue further in math to get a BS in business.... I changed my major to get a BS in something else.
But yeah, I sure hope I don't get spotlighting. Who likes math here... can you figure it out?

Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 AM   #423
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo1K9 View Post
Have you looked into Stunner Strips?
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip

OH GOD NO, NOT MATH!

lol.
Sounds like you are on the same page as me when it comes to advanced math.
Those LEDs won't pack near the punch I need. I think those are more for supplemental light. I need my LEDs to be a major light source.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #424
Aquarium Advice Addict

To calculate if there will be spotlighting we also need to know how far apart each LED is.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #425
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
To calculate if there will be spotlighting we also need to know how far apart each LED is.
I am planning on gong with two of these pre-drilled heatsinks for a total of 24 LEDs. Drilled and Tapped 5.9" x 9" Heat Sink for 12 LEDs Is having the LEDs further apart better or worse for spotlighting?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #426
AA Team Emeritus

I took some liberties making this, It would seem you may want to put them closer together in the right side view to prevent much light escaping. This also assumes on the side your canopy allows for the light to get out that far to the sides, which most don't. Throw some more info at me and I can make some revisions.

Also, expect to see my bill in the mail soon :p
Sorry some of the numbers are hard to read. The export function on the software is ancient, and the quality stinks. I'll figure out something better for next time.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #427
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
I took some liberties making this, It would seem you may want to put them closer together in the right side view to prevent much light escaping. This also assumes on the side your canopy allows for the light to get out that far to the sides, which most don't. Throw some more info at me and I can make some revisions.

Also, expect to see my bill in the mail soon :p
Sorry some of the numbers are hard to read. The export function on the software is ancient, and the quality stinks. I'll figure out something better for next time.
Thanks for putting that together Jim. Yes, I would put the heatsinks closer together. I would probably put them right next to each other so they form one big heatsink. I was also visioning putting them side by side the other way so the long parts are parallel creating an 11.8"x9" heatsink. Then I would put them in the canopy directly in the middle and the longer part of the heatsink would run from left to right in the canopy.
Do you think that would triangulate better? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #428
AA Team Emeritus

It's hard for me to comment on what is better because I don't know your current lighting setup, but I can make the changes later today and give you the info to make an educated decision.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #429
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
It's hard for me to comment on what is better because I don't know your current lighting setup, but I can make the changes later today and give you the info to make an educated decision.
That would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #430
AA Team Emeritus

too lazy to upload to photobucket.
The only area I am concerned about with this setup is the circled area. It might be too concentrated, but might be corrected a bit by the bar across your tank. Not exactly sure. Let me know if you need anything else.

EDIT: wow that looks terrible.
From the front view you have a 29in spread of light before it hits the water, and 10.8 inches down is the last color mixed.
From the right view you have 17 inch spread before water and 6 in down last mix of color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryshark2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	25257  

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com