Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #481
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldieLocks1's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 305
I have just read all 48 pages!! And basically all I can say is WOW! Well, a little bit more... you have the patience of... I dont know what. Your black fish (i cant remember how to spell it -_-, the ones you swam with in Hawaii) fish is AMAZINGG! And your whole tank has grown into something beautiful! You must be proud. Keep on going, im going to be watching this thread!
__________________

__________________
GoldieLocks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #482
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Are you going to put optics on your LEDs?
__________________

__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #483
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieLocks1 View Post
I have just read all 48 pages!! And basically all I can say is WOW! Well, a little bit more... you have the patience of... I dont know what. Your black fish (i cant remember how to spell it -_-, the ones you swam with in Hawaii) fish is AMAZINGG! And your whole tank has grown into something beautiful! You must be proud. Keep on going, im going to be watching this thread!
Speaking of patience, you read all 48-pages...thank you! My achilles tang is a beautiful fish. Unfortunately he is labeled as expert only as they are hard to keep alive, and he is testing me right now. Thanks again for joining my thread, stay posted.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #484
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Are you going to put optics on your LEDs?
Hey Pat. Absolutely, especially since I have to penetrate through a clear acrylic brace. I went with
65-degree optics for the XP-Gs
60-degree for the XR-Es
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #485
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I will be interested to know how the LEDs work for you in a tank that deep. I would love to try a LED set up over my 90 but i don't have the money and i was concerned that i would have problems with the depth. I was thinking i would have to put 40-45 degree optics on them and then put the diodes close together to keep it from looking streaky. I don't have any actual experience with the LEDs and the different optics widths. Do you have access to a PAR meter? It would be really interesting to see what kind of light you are getting at the bottom from the LEDs once you have them set up.
__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #486
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I will be interested to know how the LEDs work for you in a tank that deep. I would love to try a LED set up over my 90 but i don't have the money and i was concerned that i would have problems with the depth. I was thinking i would have to put 40-45 degree optics on them and then put the diodes close together to keep it from looking streaky. I don't have any actual experience with the LEDs and the different optics widths. Do you have access to a PAR meter? It would be really interesting to see what kind of light you are getting at the bottom from the LEDs once you have them set up.
Well for now my tank will only be 33% LED, I will still have halides over the left and right sides. If I like the LEDs I may eventually switch to all LED. I wish I had a way to measure PAR, maybe I can borrow from somebody. But my measurement will be off from typical because my light has to go through a 10"x3/4" brace. However I could measure. Par on the sides because my heatsink is longer than 10".
I doubt you would need 40-degree unless you are mounting them super high up.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #487
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
I've been watching you guys go back and forth today, don't either of you work? JK

I'm still not 100% convinced that PAR is going to be the biggest factor in LED lighting. I know I do it all the time but the guy that did the 75g tank with LEDs was getting lowish PAR at the bottom of his tank but his corals were responding better than I ever thought they would. I really think that LED lighting is still so new to reef tanks that we don't yet understand how it reacts and influences growth in corals.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #488
AA Team Emeritus
 
Jimbo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,996
So Ziggy you are admitting to not only not working either, but also being a stalker. Nice.

I do agree though, with all the LED threads I look through, I feel like there is no best way to measure them up to other lighting methods. Some fixtures have crazy high PAR and some have lower, but I really think the tunable and more concentrated wavelengths might have more of an effect on coral then we might think. I was reading a thread the other day on different color wavelenths bringing out certain colors in corals and started day dreaming on how cool it would be if a certain color light fixture could alter a corals main color variants and eventually we could naturally "selective breed" more "designer" corals.

Not very ethical or "green", but it killed a good 30 minutes of class whilst I wandered through the idea. :p
__________________
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #489
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I've been watching you guys go back and forth today, don't either of you work? JK

I'm still not 100% convinced that PAR is going to be the biggest factor in LED lighting. I know I do it all the time but the guy that did the 75g tank with LEDs was getting lowish PAR at the bottom of his tank but his corals were responding better than I ever thought they would. I really think that LED lighting is still so new to reef tanks that we don't yet understand how it reacts and influences growth in corals.
Working yes, but the problem is I still have the blackberry.

I think you are probably right. That makes sense when I wanted to talk PAR with the company I bought the LEDs from they were talking Lumens.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #490
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
pat8you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodbridge, Va
Posts: 1,802
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Working...no... at work with an internet connection... yes. Yeah it does seem that PAR is not a good measure of how effective LEDs are but i'm not sure how else to compare them.
__________________

__________________
Pat
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Definate: New 180+ gallon SW Help AMDPhenomX4 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 8 04-13-2009 03:59 PM
8 gallon starts .... NOW Brad.Sedore Nano Reefs 3 02-13-2009 06:03 PM
Lighting for a 150 gallon or 180 gallon janek Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 08-27-2006 04:04 PM
180 upgrade nsu7 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 02-13-2006 04:47 AM
180 Gallon.... Need help on getting started.. Johnathan Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 10 10-02-2004 03:54 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.