20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I just started my tank a little over two months ago ( already cycled with out fish) about two weeks ago I purchased two clown fish and some snails and hermit crabs. Well I would say two days later one of my clowns developed ich and died two days after that. Well my other clown held on and developed it to. When I realized there was no help I could give it due to mg lack of knowledge I took it back to the place I purchased it and they agreed to nurse it back to health ( fingers crossed) and in the mean time I would get my alkalinity levels up they were (1.5) but now are 4.5. I purchased some more live rock and noticed I had some kind of anemone living in one. Well I researched it and came to the conclusion its the apatasia but I may be wrong either way to place it safe I took all my live rock out to dry out for a day or two but I'm kind of at a stand still on what I should do next. Being new to all this I ask everyone I know with a salt water tank tons of questions but I'm feeling like I'm becoming a bothersome so I decided to come here and hopefully get some help thank you in advance :) any advice is appreciated I attached the anemone I had in the tank and the sick fish I had

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395716185540.jpg
    1395716185540.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 1395716207158.jpg
    1395716207158.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 112
Yikes why did you decide to remove the rocks from the tank?

You never want to dry out live rock. That's where all the beneficial bacteria is for your cycle in the tank. Regardless there's quite a bit you are going to need to do.

First - ich
Your tank has ich and really the only way to get rid of it is to allow your tank to sit fishless (water and inverts are fine) for 8 weeks. This will cause the parasite to starve and die off. Next be sure to quarantine all the new fish for at minimum 3 weeks before adding them to the tank. This will allow you to keep an eye out for any incoming diseases.

Next - cycle
You will likely have a mini cycle so get the rocks back in your tank asap assuming there's no inhabitants. you will basically have to redo part of your cycle because of the bacterial die off from drying out your rocks.

There's more but my break at work is over. I'll add more later.

@nexlix10 the place I bought the fish from suggested I remove the rock to let it die off :/

@mebbid I was told that ich wouldn't harm my tank?!?!?!?!? Like I said I'm all new to this and I'm going off the place I got the fish from advice but when I asked about having a qt they told me it wouldn't be necessary which put up some red flags to me and hence why I came here for advice lol but since my rocks are out of the tank and have been for I would say 12 hours they are going to make my tank cycle again?!?!?!?!

@macscale where would I purchased that from??

Online, unless one of your LFS is a Red Sea certified vendor, then they'll have a Red Sea stand with all their stuff. Marine ich will kill fish in your tank. You have to wait for the parasite to die off 6-8 weeks.

@ macscale Gotcha :) I'm definitely okay with waiting but I have a clown fish at their store waiting for me to get my tank up. They told me they have cycled water I could use maybe I could start up a qt tank and bring my fish back home in that while my main tank does its thing

Cycled water? I wouldn't trust that LFS if they tell you that your beneficial bacteria is in your water column. BB grows on your rocks mostly, and some on the sand. You sure they didn't say pre-made water? I wouldn't trust the LFS pre-made water, the barely ever change the RO/DI cartridges and tons of TDS makes it through.

They may have said pretty made water but that was in the beginning of me doing this but I choose at the time to mix my own water. Which I know now was a terrible mistake and could be the reason for all my problems

*premade autocorrect sorry

Making your own water isn't a terrible mistake, as long as you have an RO/DI filter. Tap water can introduce harmful elements to your tank (e.g. Phosphates and nitrates) creating algae issues in the tank.

I have a filter but it isn't that one???

This is my filter

Attachments

• 1395754762677.jpg
    1395754762677.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 90
This is what it looks like

Attachments

• 1395755034686.jpg
    1395755034686.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 87
Ohhhh see I told you I'm super new to this. I feel like the store likes to tell me stuff I need after things happen like this for example

Back
Top Bottom