Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tshere
20 Gallon Saltwater Stock

I have had my 20 gallon saltwater tank going for about 6 weeks. I currently have a Percula Clown, a Clarkii Clown, a Black Saddleback Clown, and a Neon Velvet Damsel. Is my tank overstocked?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_031_196.jpg (178.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg blacky_104.jpg (36.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg jackandmegan_125.jpg (40.2 KB, 24 views)

Old 03-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say yes! In a 20gal, you could maybe do 2 clowns and be done, 3 clowns and a damsel is pushing it.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 2 percs and a firefish in my 20 and that, IMO, is the absolute limit for me. HTH.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not overstocked but at the limit. Just keep up good filtration and you'll be fine. Clowns aren't too messy.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If it’s a 20 gal long you would be fine if you took the Clarkii Clown back to the lfs. The clarkii gets up to 6” versus the 4” of the other clowns you have and imo is too much for a 20 long.

If it’s 20 high you should scale back your fish selections even more due to the lower oxygen exchange that occurs in high tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger
Not overstocked but at the limit. Just keep up good filtration and you'll be fine. Clowns aren't too messy.
Over the limit by any stretch of the imagination with 17” of adult fish in a 20 gal tank. Even if this was fresh water then it would be pushing the 1” per gal rule much less the 1” per 5 gal general rule that applies to saltwater fish.

“good filtration” is only good as long as you have power. With this many fish in a small tank they would start to suffocate within 4 hours at adult size if the power went out. I have a generator and I only have 14” of fish in a 55 gal which I consider “my limit”
Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
If it’s a 20 gal long you would be fine if you took the Clarkii Clown back to the lfs. The clarkii gets up to 6” versus the 4” of the other clowns you have and imo is too much for a 20 long.

If it’s 20 high you should scale back your fish selections even more due to the lower oxygen exchange that occurs in high tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger
Over the limit by any stretch of the imagination with 17” of adult fish in a 20 gal tank. Even if this was fresh water then it would be pushing the 1” per gal rule much less the 1” per 5 gal general rule that applies to saltwater fish.

“good filtration” is only good as long as you have power. With this many fish in a small tank they would start to suffocate within 4 hours at adult size if the power went out. I have a generator and I only have 14” of fish in a 55 gal which I consider “my limit”
I stand behind my comment regarding at the limit. He does not have 17" of fish in there and I doubt he will within the next year or two. That kind of timeframe leaves many different options to upgrading filtration, tank size or return the fish if he feels it's outgrown his tank.

All 3 of the percs look like there still adolescents and the damsel isnt going to get any bigger. For instance, in pic 3 the clarkii is the same size as the false perc. Stating a clarkii doesnt belong in anything but a 20 long at the minimum means by your standards everyone with a clarkii in their nano is doomed for failure or overcrowding their tank. 8O I dont think so. I've seen many 10g nanos with clarks only. Typically a clark wont get that size unless he's captured in the wild big or is allowed lots of room to grow in captivity.

I respect you've decided to stock your tank conservativly, but that does not mean everyone who has the ability to care for their aquarium in excess of the 1" fish:5gal rule should.

And I think power is a given regarding everyday operation for not just filtration, but lights and flow as well. If a certain rural area has power issues, a UPS or BBS is something to look into.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'm more concerned about so many fish within a 6 week period. How are the trates doing? Hoping the estblished bacteria is sufficient so soon.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

One problem I see is the different species of clowns in such a small tank. Mixing species is generally a bad idea. Also, as Ray mentions, that's alot of fish in 6wks time.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would say that it is overstocked with clowns. Way too many clown fish for a 20 gallon tank. Expect agression in your tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree...the mixing of clown species in such a small space is only asking for trouble. Are you over-stocked? Well, that depends...what are your current water parameters? I do think it is too many fish too soon.

Tags
20 gallon, salt, saltwater, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com