20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently decided, after much debate and consideration, that it was time for me to get a saltwater tank. I have/had two planted tanks, a 40 breeder and a 36 bowfront. My 40 breeder is perfect. My 36 bowfront....not so much. It's not so much that it looks bad so much as it is that I just hate the tank itself. The curved front creates a beautiful display, the depth makes it a total pain to clean though :banghead:. After much debate I decided I just needed to sell this tank and take the money and put it towards my saltwater adventure. I put the tank up for sale about a week ago and today I sold it to a local business to use in their reception area. Wednesday on my day off I am going to break down what was the tank that brought me back into the hobby and send it into someone else's care. I have attached a picture of how she looks tonight.

Now onto whats coming! :)

I am waiting for the next dollar per gallon sale at either Petco or Petsmart and picking up a 20 long. I plan on doing this as a reef tank with a large assortment of corals and few select fish and invertebrates. I also plan to include a DIY stand build in this thread. Maybe even a DIY canopy if I am feeling froggy. :D

Once I collect payment on Wednesday I will start ordering the various components I need to get this tank up and running. I will have a lot of questions as this thread progresses and I am really looking forward to everyone's input and constructive criticism.

Here is the list of components I am considering:

Light: Fishneedit 30" T5HO (4 bulb, 2 actinics and 2 10k)
Filter: Aquaclear 70 with filter floss, purigen, and chemi pure elite (what is everyone's thoughts on the last two?)
Heater: Eheim Jager 75 Watt (Is this strong enough?(
Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 240 (2 of these)
Base rock: 15 lbs aprox
Live rock: 5lbs aprox from lfs
Substrate: "live sand" (aka bagged) from lfs
Salt: Instant ocean reef crystals
Water: RODI from lfs
Test kits: api saltwater and reef master kits
Refractometer from marine depot
Skimmer: none for now, I am religious about my weekly water change

Thoughts on this equipment list? Also, let me know if I missed anything.

Attachments

• 20120608_001456 (1).jpg
    20120608_001456 (1).jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 274
Rhino said:
I recently decided, after much debate and consideration, that it was time for me to get a saltwater tank. I have/had two planted tanks, a 40 breeder and a 36 bowfront. My 40 breeder is perfect. My 36 bowfront....not so much. It's not so much that it looks bad so much as it is that I just hate the tank itself. The curved front creates a beautiful display, the depth makes it a total pain to clean though :banghead:. After much debate I decided I just needed to sell this tank and take the money and put it towards my saltwater adventure. I put the tank up for sale about a week ago and today I sold it to a local business to use in their reception area. Wednesday on my day off I am going to break down what was the tank that brought me back into the hobby and send it into someone else's care. I have attached a picture of how she looks tonight.

Now onto whats coming! :)

I am waiting for the next dollar per gallon sale at either Petco or Petsmart and picking up a 20 long. I plan on doing this as a reef tank with a large assortment of corals and few select fish and invertebrates. I also plan to include a DIY stand build in this thread. Maybe even a DIY canopy if I am feeling froggy. :D

Once I collect payment on Wednesday I will start ordering the various components I need to get this tank up and running. I will have a lot of questions as this thread progresses and I am really looking forward to everyone's input and constructive criticism.

Here is the list of components I am considering:

Light: Fishneedit 30" T5HO (4 bulb, 2 actinics and 2 10k)
Filter: Aquaclear 70 with filter floss, purigen, and chemi pure elite (what is everyone's thoughts on the last two?)
Heater: Eheim Jager 75 Watt (Is this strong enough?(
Circulation: Hydor Koralia Nano 240 (2 of these)
Base rock: 15 lbs aprox
Live rock: 5lbs aprox from lfs
Substrate: "live sand" (aka bagged) from lfs
Salt: Instant ocean reef crystals
Water: RODI from lfs
Test kits: api saltwater and reef master kits
Refractometer from marine depot
Skimmer: none for now, I am religious about my weekly water change

Thoughts on this equipment list? Also, let me know if I missed anything.

Only thing I can say right now is everything looks good so far. You may not be happy with those Koralia 240's, I hated mine and went with the 425's not sure if it's much difference and maybe it was just in my head but I love the 425's and so does my tank (BC29) I also have them hooked up to a Hydor smartwave.

Good luck and I'll be following along.

Also some say you don't need a lot of live rock but this is just my opinion, I think the more live rock you can get the better. I've read several articles and books am they say live rock is good for filtration and aids in it. As for live sand I've also read that it's not necessary. I used 35lbs of live sand and can't really say if it makes a difference. I haven't read enough about that debate. The live rock I think some will back me up the filtration thing although it isn't the end of the world if you a little live rock and a little base rock. It all comes down to preference and budget.

Maybe bump the live rock up a little?

The heater should be just fine. I have a Aqueon pro 100 watt in my tank an it's fine. Yours is a 20 long it should work just fine.

The filter should also work out just fine. My buddy has a 10 gallon and is running a AC110 and a small power head with no issues. He has chaeto, purigen and chemi pure elite in it along with a light for cheato an it works just fine.

I think your list is pretty well thought out.

I'm no expert and my SW tank has only been up for 6 months. But I've done a lot of reading and it sounds like your right on track.

Last edited:
Thanks for the adice on the Koralia's I will definitely consider this. I think instead of buying the Hydor smartwave I will just use timers (for now, have to save something for Christmas). Anyone else have any thoughts on the pumps?

Nope sorry, not sure about the PHs. Haven't used anything that small on my tanks. I think you'll need more rock as well. Will you be doing a sump too, or just the 20 long? If you're getting tanks at the $1/G sale, it'll be cheap enough to buy another 20L or 10G tank for the system. Just a thought.

AquaRick said:
Nope sorry, not sure about the PHs. Haven't used anything that small on my tanks. I think you'll need more rock as well. Will you be doing a sump too, or just the 20 long? If you're getting tanks at the $1/G sale, it'll be cheap enough to buy another 20L or 10G tank for the system. Just a thought.

I did consider a sump as I already have an extra ten gallon laying around. Not sure if I want to go that route though.

Rhino said:
Thanks for the adice on the Koralia's I will definitely consider this. I think instead of buying the Hydor smartwave I will just use timers (for now, have to save something for Christmas). Anyone else have any thoughts on the pumps?

The nano's are not designed to run on wavemakers or timers. Most powerheads are not, you only get so many starts and stops before they fail. Just a thought.

Also what type of corals do you plan on keeping? Softies, lps, sps, clams, anemones? This will determine much of what you actually need.

Live rock and live sand are biological filters, meaning they support beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. Dead rock (dry, base, whatever u wish to call it) will become live over time. However to start its usually recommended to do half live half dry rock.

Schism said:
Live rock and live sand are biological filters, meaning they support beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrite and nitrite into nitrate. Dead rock (dry, base, whatever u wish to call it) will become live over time. However to start its usually recommended to do half live half dry rock.

I do agree with this statement. However, I want to try to keep as many pest out as possible.

Schism said:
The nano's are not designed to run on wavemakers or timers. Most powerheads are not, you only get so many starts and stops before they fail. Just a thought.

Also what type of corals do you plan on keeping? Softies, lps, sps, clams, anemones? This will determine much of what you actually need.

I plan on keeping softies and perhaps a few lps. Did not know that about the pumps thanks for the advice.

I have a fishneedit fixture over my 20g and it's a good light fixture in my opinion. The only thing I would consider is to change out the bulbs. The 10k bulbs that come with it are quite yellow/green and kinda give an "off" color to the tank. The blue bulbs that come with it arent horrible but they arent super blue so you might wanna change those as well if you like a super blue hue to the tank. :)

I agree about the powerheads too, I would go with two 425's, I think you'll be much happier with them. I run them in my 29g cube as well as my 20g.

Just a warning though, I had an aquaclear 70 running in my 20l when I had it and the flow was crazy. Because the 20L tank is short top to bottom you will have issues with sand being blown around with the 70. I would go with the AC50 instead. I also run one of those on my 20g tank. lol
You will only be using the filter for particulate matter that is in the water and maybe for running media like purigen or gfo. The bigger media chamber in the ac70 would be great for media though, but I think you can fit what you want in the 50 as well.

Hope that helps!

carey said:
I have a fishneedit fixture over my 20g and it's a good light fixture in my opinion. The only thing I would consider is to change out the bulbs. The 10k bulbs that come with it are quite yellow/green and kinda give an "off" color to the tank. The blue bulbs that come with it arent horrible but they arent super blue so you might wanna change those as well if you like a super blue hue to the tank. :)

I agree about the powerheads too, I would go with two 425's, I think you'll be much happier with them. I run them in my 29g cube as well as my 20g.

Just a warning though, I had an aquaclear 70 running in my 20l when I had it and the flow was crazy. Because the 20L tank is short top to bottom you will have issues with sand being blown around with the 70. I would go with the AC50 instead. I also run one of those on my 20g tank. lol
You will only be using the filter for particulate matter that is in the water and maybe for running media like purigen or gfo. The bigger media chamber in the ac70 would be great for media though, but I think you can fit what you want in the 50 as well.

Hope that helps!

Ha I have viewed all your threads and had hopes I would be hearing your opinion on this build. You guys have convinced me to go with the other powerheads. Also, I will be changing some of the bulbs in the fixture eventually. I have an ac30 I could use as well. Still considering the sump though.

I've had no issues with my power heads and the Hydor smart wave. It alternates every hour. Been like that for 5 months. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

It was my understanding that the smartwave was specifically made for the Koralia's.

Convict2161 said:
I've had no issues with my power heads and the Hydor smart wave. It alternates every hour. Been like that for 5 months. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

It was my understanding that the smartwave was specifically made for the Koralia's.

That is what I thought as well. I will try to send them an email and see what I can find.

Convict2161 said:

Here is a link to Hydors website stating that they can be safely ran on a timer.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/47/list/14

Rhino said:
Here is a link to Hydors website stating that they can be safely ran on a timer.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/47/list/14

:) yes they can, however that doesnt stop them from breaking, although as a note ive only had this issue with the ones that have this grille with the little rubber piece.

Pic is the aftermath, this will cause the pump to run in reverse. If this happens they will send you 3 free covers. If this didnt happen often they would not send 3. Oh and i talked to them, it happens often. This belongs to the 750, and 550, not sure the 425 has the rubber piece so u may be ok as far as this problem

Attachments

• image-3782336819.jpg
    image-3782336819.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 138
Schism said:
:) yes they can, however that doesnt stop them from breaking, although as a note ive only had this issue with the ones that have this grille with the little rubber piece.

Pic is the aftermath, this will cause the pump to run in reverse. If this happens they will send you 3 free covers. If this didnt happen often they would not send 3. Oh and i talked to them, it happens often. This belongs to the 750, and 550, not sure the 425 has the rubber piece so u may be ok as far as this problem

Thanks for the good info!

Back
Top Bottom