Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

30 gallon sump or refgium??

I had a friend make a 30 or so gallon tank for me. I wanted to add more fish then I should so, I need to add more water to my system. One of my new fish will be a mandirin. I have 70 lbs of live rock with tons of pods. Do I really need to do a ref. or wouldnt a sump do..... If I am reading it right the only reason I need a ref is to grow stuff. I really only want more water for more fish... So a sump should do....Right???

Also, I have ordered and will be receiving the following, how does my QT look??
1 10 gallon with banded poosum wrass,2 ocellaris clown,royal gamma - all peaceful

1 35 gallon with yellow tank ( small ), barletts anthis,bi-color pseudochromis - all semi aggressive

Main tank Yellowhead jaw & mandarin as I have read they are disease resistant and the mandarin will need pods asap......

Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I wanted to add more fish then I should so, I need to add more water to my system.
Increasing the amount of water in your system, does not increase it capacity for fish, unless they are in that extra tank.

Quote:
I have 70 lbs of live rock with tons of pods
IMO that is not enough rock for a mandarin. It will decimate your current pod population in a few months and then starve, a refugium would offer a pllace for pod reproduction that the mandarin couldn't get to and continually renew your pod pop in the tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so, I could use the ref instead of a sump. I really only need to add a dsb and lights with a few plants and a few peices of live rock that have pods right??

On this fish thing,, I still dont get how I cant keep more fish if I increase the water volume to handle the extra waste. exspecially now I am adding the ref.. Sorry Kevin but can you explain this to me because my order arrives tomorrow and as you can see, I went shopping.... I really wanted to have two tanks but didnt want a fish only tank. The other is a seahorse once the QT time is over. I want to keep them all in my reef. Is this going to be possible??
Old 12-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I still dont get how I cant keep more fish if I increase the water volume to handle the extra waste
Because water doesn't handle waste, and even with a fuge, that's all it will do handle waste. This does not take into capacity the space needed for each fish to be comfortable. There is more water, but from the fishes perspective there is no more room. IMO, the tank will be crowded which will cause it's own problems.

IMO, I would not put any or the "semi"aggressive fish in the display tank, even with the others your tank will be a bit over crowded, but it may not pose to large a problem due to the temperments and space taken by the fishes.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks.. I tried to be care when selecting them to be sure they would all play nicely together and that they would stay small. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and add one fish every week and see what happends. Worst case is I will just have to set up a new fish only tank.. I maybe posting for somewhere to live shortly...

Tags
30 gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com