Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. So I'm probably wrong which is what I figured since I haven't seen the spike of ammonia and nitrates yet. The diatoms will disappear on their own right? I'm sure changing the flow will help too. One of my pumps seems to be working not so well so I need to look into that as well. This is going to be a long journey! Lol.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
Ok. So I'm probably wrong which is what I figured since I haven't seen the spike of ammonia and nitrates yet. The diatoms will disappear on their own right? I'm sure changing the flow will help too. One of my pumps seems to be working not so well so I need to look into that as well. This is going to be a long journey! Lol.
They should. But increased flow can help. hey, I started my 55 with a 10 g hob filter and an aerator. You'll be fine! lol.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested for Nitrates it should be high if your cycled, get some pure ammonia put a few drops in, enough to show on your test then if it converts in 24 hrs you'll know if your cycled.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates are at zero. I'm wondering if its because im running my lights. I'm glad I am because that's how I found out about my temp issues. So I can nip that in the bud before adding my fish. That's this weekends project. I know you don't need to cycle with lights on and I didn't with my other tank. So maybe that's why the diatoms came later in the 75 gal.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like your close there should be some trace of nitrates though, id do the ammonia test just to be sure

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both ammonia and nitrates are zero. That's why im thinking the cycle hasn't even started yet? But I thought the bottled bacteria would kick start it? I think I'm more confused now then if I'd just done a raw shrimp cycle :/
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bottled Bacti needs an ammo source it's mostly nitrItes most times you'll get a bit of die off from the live rock and that will feed the bacti, put a pinch of fish food in the tank it will break down and act as a food source. I think your right in thinking your cycle hasn't started yet.

I've used ammonia and Dr Tim's one and only and have cycled tanks in 3 days (YRMV)

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I'll throw a small piece of frozen mysis in there tonight then I guess. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Added the mysis. Going to test again tonight and every night. Was thinking ahead though and wondering what kind of CUC I could have in with an angler. I'm sure I can have snails but I was wondering if I could have hermits. I'm scared hell eat them and not digest the shells. Anyone thats had an angler, what did you do for your CUC?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had plenty of hermits and snails - he never tried to eat them, also had nudibranch, Pom-Pom crabs, and porcelain crabs with no issue.

I would stay away from any shrimp, (fire/skunk/peppermint/sexy, etc), as they would be goners.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com