Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

425 nano koralia powerhead

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about getting one for my biocube 29?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got two of them in my 28 nano, down in each bottom corner..... I'm happy with them. You looking for anything specific??

Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Just researching for now. Don't have any coral yet but when I get some I wanna get a powerhead....any thoughts on a protein skimmer, some say yes, some say in the biocube you don't necessarily need it??
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had 2 in my bio cube 29 along with a upgraded pump (MJ1200) I was unhappy with them, could have placement I guess, maybe... In the end I went with a single Vortech MP10 and couldn't be happier.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I had 2 in my bio cube 29 along with a upgraded pump (MJ1200) I was unhappy with them, could have placement I guess, maybe... In the end I went with a single Vortech MP10 and couldn't be happier.
This might sound stupid, but what is a vortech mp10? Also I am thinking about the fuge basket, what would you put in it?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysaltlife

This might sound stupid, but what is a vortech mp10? Also I am thinking about the fuge basket, what would you put in it?
I use this company

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Oceanic-Biocube-29_c61.htm

And this is the Vortech MP10

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech/vortech-mp10/

In chamber one I have my heater and a bag of chemi pure elite, chamber 2 I have the inTank media rack running top poly floss, middle purigen and bottom phosguard, also next to the media rack I have a bunch of live rock rubble and another bag o chemi pure elite. Chamber three I have the upgraded pump, the maxi jet 1200 and I removed the sponge between chambers 2&3.

Have you seen the inTank video?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysaltlife View Post
Top of the line powerhead. But, what amazon wants for one MP10, I can get seven 425's and still have change......

As far as the fuge, never ran one... I just use a skimmer.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea that's for sure. The MP's are a lot of money no argument there, and your left with no change after buying one.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #9

Ooooh ok, that sounds awesome! I have seen the video, and I am def gonna get the media and fuge basket. I have filter floss and chemi pure in there now. And when I am ready for corals I'm gonna get a powerhead. Any suggestions on test kits? Right now I just keep testing at my lfs... But I wanna be able to test daily. I've been looking on amazon but there doesn't seem to be one with everything...thanks you guys for your input much appreciated.. I am a newbie but super hooked now and also budget conscious...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, you definitely want to do your own testing... Being budget concious, the Red Sea kits are probably one of the best values. There are better (and worse), but for the money, they are great kits. And once you get rolling, there really is no need to test every day.... right now I test twice a week, and that's only because I have enough corals in mine that it's starting to deplete calcium and alkalinity a little quicker than my normal water changes are supplying, so I'm going to need to start dosing my tank with supplements.

Tags
koralia, nano, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com