46g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
New thread! New reef! Very exciting.

Since the 10g was looking a bit cramped I figured it was time to upgrade a bit. The 200g is still a ways off (laziness is terrible) so I fully intended to just break down the 10. The 10 is still up and running thanks to my lovely bf who said he would miss it. He's really enabling my MTS. :devilish:

So, found a 46 off of CL. Used straight aragonite sand this time (I used live on the 10. Not so much because it was "live" but because it came in 20lb bags) and put in about 60 pounds of LR and let 'er rip. Another 5 pounds or so of rock was added with the corals.

After much cycling, I read an article about converting mollies to salt water. Being the curious party that I am, I took a dalmation molly and 2 black mollies, and gave it a try. They've done FABULOUSLY. In fact, they're happier in here than they were in the fw.

After giving them about a week or so and watching for ammonia, I deemed the tank safe enough to move over the 10g. Which brought a yellow coris wrasse, a cleaner shrimp, two types of xenia, a torch coral, a plate coral, a mushroom and a rock that has thin finger leather and what look to be clove polyps.

This weekend we've added a pair of clowns and a small bit of frogspawn. :)

img_1024743_0_dbdd2c384fe313d7120d27c3279b9853.jpg

Filling
img_1024743_1_4fc54b7f23918c3e9c961329dfe77003.jpg

Finger leather and cloves? The finger leather doesn't look as happy as he usually does in this pic. It was taken right after we put it in the 10.
img_1024743_2_db153f147396a53fcafba429a730fe58.jpg

A hard to see picture of the frogspawn
img_1024743_3_d56759fb65e359b73f1c8e1bcfc4c5b2.jpg

img_1024743_4_e5aabee6a14415d7019f5b87f07595b8.jpg

Full tank shot.

Please ignore the cyano.
It will not be there much longer. :)

Looks really nice! Do you have a sump on this one? If so did you make it? If thats a yes did you drill in the side or just over the top? If you didn't drill how do you make it! Sorry for all the questions. :p

I plan on doing a sump. Unsure of it I should just buy one or make one. I don't really know how. It will be a 10g sump. I am looking for some sites but nothing is really helping any ideas?

Yea I was looking at his video but he doesn't really explain how to set it up to the tank, and I don't want to drill through the tank.

Go make a thread about sump design, there are much more knowledgeable people here than I that would be glad to explain plumbing.

Sooo exciting week this is. I stumbled upon some exciting corals! My lfs was breaking down someone's tanks so there was some good stuff in the store.

I picked up some star polyps, a huge frogspawn, two teeny green toadstools, a small orange ricordia rock (i hardly ever see those in) and hopefully they'll have some interesting zoas today. Pretty exciting.

Already managed to frag some of the star polyps for the 10. :)

Pics when I get the others home today. They weren't priced yet when I was there yesterday :D

Wow Flake, that tank looks awesome!! Yet again.. why i love bowfronts. Also.. you have mollies in the saltwater? when the heck did that become possible? I didn't even know they were.. saltwater..??

I'm not fond of the bigger bows, they tend to distort pretty badly, and since I love taking pictures of my fish, it doesn't work too well. This one was supposed to be my fw tank and use my 55 for salt but once I put water in it, I decided I liked this bow. It's making the big frogspawn look awesome :D

Mollies are technically brackish. I had no idea either. Guppies and platys supposedly are too. With a little time they can be easily acclimated. I took the pair of black mollies and the dalmation that didn't hang out with the other two, and tried it. They're doing better than the ones in the fw. Kinda mindblowing isn't it? :)

they are freshwater i never thought about trying it but one of my lfs said it was possible when i was getting started not being a molly fan i didint try it

They tend to fall under every category. Pretty amazing fish. It was strange enough to me that I had to try it. :mrgreen:

hahah. I know. I spend my day booking things for my vacation in december. I'll start soon. I promise!

Looks really nice, I'm considering an upgrade to an 80 bowfront. But I'm with spoonman on this one I'm dying to see it all finished up.

Back
Top Bottom